Speedo and climate probs

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

4oh6
1.6 8v

Speedo and climate probs

Post by 4oh6 »

Hi all,

After weeks of sorting out little niggles with my 2001 hdi Rapier, the end is now in sight :D

Just a couple of little things left to sort out for now.

I started my car the other day and the speedo didn't work for a few minutes before returning to normal. Since then it has dropped to zero a few times whilst driving. Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, my climate control only gives out heat between 26-30 Celsius. Below 26 it is just cold.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Kev
mjb
Site Admin

Re: Speedo and climate probs

Post by mjb »

4oh6 wrote:I started my car the other day and the speedo didn't work for a few minutes before returning to normal. Since then it has dropped to zero a few times whilst driving. Has anyone else had this problem?
Could be the speed sensor on the diff housing?
Also, my climate control only gives out heat between 26-30 Celsius. Below 26 it is just cold.
I suggest having a peek at the temperature sensor in the front courtesy light panel overhead. If you pop the light out, you'll see the torx screws holding the panel in place. Once off, you should see the temperature sensor with its diddy fan. Give it all a good clean and see if that makes a difference.

Also in the centre of the dashboard next to the windscreen you'll see a little 'nipple'. It's the sunlight sensor for the climate control so give it a clean.

Is the exterior temperature reporting correctly?

The other temperature sensors are not so easy to access :cry:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
4oh6
1.6 8v

Post by 4oh6 »

Thanks for reply. I haven't tried cleaning the overhead sensor but when I changed the aerial I checked it and it was whirring away. I didn't know about the sunlight sensor so I will check that.

When I got the car the outside temp was not working on display so I soldered a new sensor in the wing mirror so that is working now.

Is sensor on the diff easily found?

Many thanks

Kev
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

4oh6 wrote:Thanks for reply. I haven't tried cleaning the overhead sensor but when I changed the aerial I checked it and it was whirring away.
Even if it was whirring away, it doesn't mean that the sensor behind the fan isn't covered in crud...

Another thing to try might be to pull the stereo out, reach in and give the connector to the climate control unit a good wiggle. Unplug+plug it a couple of times.
Is sensor on the diff easily found?
It'll be on top of the back of the gearbox near where the o/s (driver's side) driveshaft goes in. The plug should be covered by a silverish fabric hood.

This is on a V6 with the subframe removed. You can see the fabric hood, and the white plug. The sensor is the yellowish plastic bit underneath it. Looks like it's held in by a large torx or allen screw
If you look at the clutch change HOWTO there's quite a few pictures of it viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8234

Depending on the engine, you *may* be able to access it from above if you remove the air filter box, but on mine the only way at it is from underneath the car.

Should only need to jack the passenger side up a bit to get to it (don't forget the axle stands!!!) so it's not a huge job to get to
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
waue1978
HDi don't believe it!

Post by waue1978 »

4oh6 wrote: I started my car the other day and the speedo didn't work for a few minutes before returning to normal. Since then it has dropped to zero a few times whilst driving. Has anyone else had this problem?
Don't know what the cause is, but I've had this happen 3 times in the 2 years I've had the car. Always worked again within a couple of minutes.
2000/X Peugeot 406 110 HDi LX Family 93k to 2000/W BMW 530D SE Auto 84k to 2003/03 Peugeot Partner Hdi Escapade 98k to 2003/53 Vauxhall Zafira DTi Elegance 74k

wasp
2.0 16v

Post by wasp »

I also had the speedo 'die' syndrome about 4 years ago, and yes it was the vss vehicle speed sensor on the gearbox,about 40 quid from pug i think.4 years on and hasnt done it since.Was easyish to do,does leak a little gear oil on removal so have a rag at hand!.
"A HDI Is For Life and NOT Just For Xmas!!!"
pigboy306
1.8 16v

Post by pigboy306 »

Resurrecting an old thread....

My 406 has climate control. Today I had to put the temp up to over 20c before i got any heat out of the vents. The temp out side was around 12c. The outside temp is reading fine. I havent cleaned any sensors yet but will.

But can peugeot planet read the sensors? I would have a good idea of whats playing up then
pigboy306
1.8 16v

Post by pigboy306 »

Peugeot planet does read the sensors, I have cleaned the roof sensor (covered in fluff) however i still have to put the temp up to 20c to get some warmth this is with and outside temp of low teens.

I have attached a screen print from peugeot planet temp readings you can see they read sunlight cabin temp however the position of vent and distribution settings are not known. These are just covered with dashes. I tried the actuators and can here the motors moving. (when on manual i can hear the motors moving too).
Any thoughts next