Peugeot 406 - did it have Webasto as an optional?

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Peugeot 406 - did it have Webasto as an optional?

Post by OdinEidolon »

Hi all, I'm researching a rather strange topic. I know many cars are fitted with a Webasto in cold countries such Poland, Russia, Germany.
A webasto is an additional heating system which heats up the interior and the engine when the temperature goes below certain temps. It usually makes use of standard fuel from the tank.

I've been asked if it was fitted to 406s in those countries, but can't find an answer. Servicebox isn't of help, since in Ita it wasn't available it isn't listed anywhere.

Help!
2001 2.2HDi saloon Executive (not the English exec, worse!) in Obsidian Black. Semi-Mux D9, build code 8761
Want a remap? Contact us, learn to do it yourself on ecuedit.com or let the professionals of editecu.com do it for you!

ecuedit.com | carecus.com | editecu.com | boschecus.com | carsrubber.com | egrswitch.com | car-specification.com
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Re: Peugeot 406 - did it have Webasto as an optional?

Post by highlander »

I know this has been talked about on here before, but I don't believe "Webasto" was specifically mentioned.

Can't recall if it was ever an option on any 406 in any country or not, though - sorry.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

highlander wrote:I know this has been talked about on here before, but I don't believe "Webasto" was specifically mentioned.

Can't recall if it was ever an option on any 406 in any country or not, though - sorry.
I think it's a general name, isn't it? Maybe there's a more correct name.

EDIT: this? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3663&p=36840&hilit= ... ng+#p36840

But I'm talking about something that heats the car and the engine when the car itself isn't turned on.
2001 2.2HDi saloon Executive (not the English exec, worse!) in Obsidian Black. Semi-Mux D9, build code 8761
Want a remap? Contact us, learn to do it yourself on ecuedit.com or let the professionals of editecu.com do it for you!

ecuedit.com | carecus.com | editecu.com | boschecus.com | carsrubber.com | egrswitch.com | car-specification.com
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

haven't seen anything like it on servicebox...
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

No, that wasn't it. It was definitely talking specifically about an external heating system that you plug into your engine and switch on, so that you can go back indoors and have a cup of tea, and when you come out again your car's engine has thawed out and warmed up - you then unplug it from your car and your engine will start at the first turn of the key.

Trouble is I can't remember what the name for it was, but I don't ever recall seeing the name "Webasto", and I can't remember which section of the board it was on.

Doing a search for "Webasto" only finds this topic.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

highlander wrote:
No, that wasn't it. It was definitely talking specifically about an external heating system that you plug into your engine and switch on, so that you can go back indoors and have a cup of tea, and when you come out again your car's engine has thawed out and warmed up - you then unplug it from your car and your engine will start at the first turn of the key.

Trouble is I can't remember what the name for it was, but I don't ever recall seeing the name "Webasto", and I can't remember which section of the board it was on.

Not exactly like that. A webasto stays permanently on the car, you don't have to plug anything, you only have a remote control to turn it on/off and program it.
No possible searchwords come to your mind?

highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

No, sorry. Bloody brain is useless these days :(
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

highlander wrote:No, sorry. Bloody brain is useless these days :(
this then

viewtopic.php?t=13466&p=122796

highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

That's the one! The PDF in the original link seems to have disappeared but from what I recall, it does what you had in mind, just in an external capacity (not built in to the car).

From what Welly was saying, it seems the HDi has its' own built-in electric warm-up system, but never having owned any type of diesel and never having driven a diesel 406, I couldn't comment on the "how"s and "what"s of this system.
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

highlander wrote:That's the one! The PDF in the original link seems to have disappeared but from what I recall, it does what you had in mind, just in an external capacity (not built in to the car).

From what Welly was saying, it seems the HDi has its' own built-in electric warm-up system, but never having owned any type of diesel and never having driven a diesel 406, I couldn't comment on the "how"s and "what"s of this system.
Well what's already standard on our beloved HDi is an electric heater which helps getting the cabin and the engine hotter faster when the car is started in the cold. But it only works with the car turned on. Sure it's a really good system, the 406 cabin heats up much faster than any other car I've ever owned.

omega
3.0 24v

Post by omega »

highlander wrote:

i think you thinking of kenworth or something like that they are same company that make electric fans
Busman
3.0 24v

Post by Busman »

Webasto is a brand name of a diesel or lpg heater fitted to many coaches, trucks and boats. It is an auxilary heater that runs from the vehicles battery. It's similar to your heating boiler at home. In canada they have an electric version bit like an imersion heater that you plug in via an extension cable.
Erberspacher or similar spelling is the same thing made elsewhere.
Last edited by Busman on Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1999 HDI 110 GLX Estate Sold On at 230,000 miles to the lucky John
2003 HDI 110 Rapier Estate
1998 D8 1.9XUD Estate LX 7 seater Estate sold, with regret
1999 306 1.8 petrol.
Busman
3.0 24v

Post by Busman »

But I would be amazed if the mighty 406 had one as they are fairly big.
1999 HDI 110 GLX Estate Sold On at 230,000 miles to the lucky John
2003 HDI 110 Rapier Estate
1998 D8 1.9XUD Estate LX 7 seater Estate sold, with regret
1999 306 1.8 petrol.
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

Busman wrote:But I would be amazed if the mighty 406 had one as they are fairly big.
I've seen puntos from Germany with them.
Dimensions from the webasto website: around 22x10x15cm, depending on model.
Pretty small!

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Hullo, is it that "brrr, it's bluddy cold, perhaps I should get one of them hot start things.. fook that - for that sort of money I could just leave the car idling for a month" time of year again?

My dad... Freelander TD4...standard...ran on diesel...clouds of smoke...rest of the car was crap...brother hated it...sold it quick etc.

Oddly enough I was thinking about these things again because if I do get one of these daft Vitara things for the wife it'll need it 'cos there's only room for one car in the barn and I know which it's going to be :twisted:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.