Peugeot 406 - did it have Webasto as an optional?

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Re: Peugeot 406 - did it have Webasto as an optional?

Post by OdinEidolon »

steve_earwig wrote:Hullo, is it that "brrr, it's bluddy cold, perhaps I should get one of them hot start things.. fook that - for that sort of money I could just leave the car idling for a month" time of year again?

My dad... Freelander TD4...standard...ran on diesel...clouds of smoke...rest of the car was crap...brother hated it...sold it quick etc.

Oddly enough I was thinking about these things again because if I do get one of these daft Vitara things for the wife it'll need it 'cos there's only room for one car in the barn and I know which it's going to be :twisted:
Have you ever been to -30 C? I do, and when I came back the car was -20 C! Bloody cold, and I'm sure it also ruins the engine a lot.

Actually I'd get one of these only if it was less than 60 pounds, mainly to save the engine some cold starts. I was asking because I was asked myself.
2001 2.2HDi saloon Executive (not the English exec, worse!) in Obsidian Black. Semi-Mux D9, build code 8761
Want a remap? Contact us, learn to do it yourself on ecuedit.com or let the professionals of editecu.com do it for you!

ecuedit.com | carecus.com | editecu.com | boschecus.com | carsrubber.com | egrswitch.com | car-specification.com
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

OdinEidolon wrote:Have you ever been to -30 C?
Close.
I'm sure it also ruins the engine a lot.
Definitely.
OdinEidolon wrote:Actually I'd get one of these only if it was less than 60 pounds
I'd get two, the trouble is they're nowhere near 60 pounds, even old Kenlowes on ebay clear 150, as for Webasto/eberspacher you could buy an engine for that!

I did some googling last time I was thinking about this, I came up with a few different companies but nothing as effective, however a fresh google brings up http://www.schwalm-kg.de/Frost%20guard.htm which seems a bit more realistic.

See, they even named it with us in mind :lol:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

100+ euros for a resistance with a small pump attached???
No way. I can build one myself for much less.
Resistance: nothing
Pump: get one from a old washer and slow it down: nothing (or get a standard computer water pump and run it from 220V with a transformer = 50+10 €)
some wires and tubes: 5€
custom built waterblock: 20€ (I already have a couple of computer waterblocks tho)

Result.

Time to do it? None.
2001 2.2HDi saloon Executive (not the English exec, worse!) in Obsidian Black. Semi-Mux D9, build code 8761
Want a remap? Contact us, learn to do it yourself on ecuedit.com or let the professionals of editecu.com do it for you!

ecuedit.com | carecus.com | editecu.com | boschecus.com | carsrubber.com | egrswitch.com | car-specification.com
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Interesting, I've a few questions though: washer pump - would this be a washing machine drain pump? As you say, the flow rate is a bit high (20l/min as opposed to 4). I'm not sure if a computer water pump would handle the heat. Unless you were only going for frost-proof, in which case they'd be more than adequate and the flow rate would be perfect. Hmm, none of this stuff is cheap, unless you have it hanging about... You say resistance is no problem, is there something obvious I'm overlooking? Would you be looking for somewhere flat to glue the block to your engine?

I've just been off looking for these additional heaters that were mentioned earlier in the thread here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3663&p=36840&hilit= ... ng+#p36840 but I can't find them :frown: I was wondering if you put a separate supply to these, together with the computer pump, and keep everything 12 volts...

Btw
Welly wrote:I am convinced that the numerous 'additional heating' faults that HDi owners see on a diagnostics check is the result of a software glitch where the additional heating is called for by one sensor only to be defeated by another, say around the 10 deg C set point, flagging up a fault. I wonder if Pug did an upgrade for this?
They sure did - mine doesn't have any :roll:

OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

steve_earwig wrote:Interesting, I've a few questions though: washer pump - would this be a washing machine drain pump? As you say, the flow rate is a bit high (20l/min as opposed to 4). I'm not sure if a computer water pump would handle the heat. Unless you were only going for frost-proof, in which case they'd be more than adequate and the flow rate would be perfect. Hmm, none of this stuff is cheap, unless you have it hanging about... You say resistance is no problem, is there something obvious I'm overlooking? Would you be looking for somewhere flat to glue the block to your engine?

I've just been off looking for these additional heaters that were mentioned earlier in the thread here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3663&p=36840&hilit= ... ng+#p36840 but I can't find them :frown: I was wondering if you put a separate supply to these, together with the computer pump, and keep everything 12 volts...

Btw
Welly wrote:I am convinced that the numerous 'additional heating' faults that HDi owners see on a diagnostics check is the result of a software glitch where the additional heating is called for by one sensor only to be defeated by another, say around the 10 deg C set point, flagging up a fault. I wonder if Pug did an upgrade for this?
They sure did - mine doesn't have any :roll:
Yes, from a washing machine. Slowing it down isn't difficult, a friend of mine used one to power one of those thigs that turn chestnuts... I don't know the word.
sually standard water cooling computer pumps can run fairly hot, more than 60C. I have an industrial grade here that can run up to 90C, but it has some too much power: head... 15m :shock:

Resistance's no problem, you could grab one from an old oven or just fabricate one out of some steel wire. Depends on the power requirements. I would just ask our lab if I could grab some material :D
Yep, thinking of a way to attach the heater to somewhere in the car. I know it can be done since it's how those electric heaters work. Actually I also found out some pics on where to attach it on a 406 coupé, but I don't know where.
12V would be nice since you could use computer pumps which seem to be good for the job. Fabricate or buy a transformer 220V -> 12V isn's too complicated.

Now let's see if I find that page.

Ok here's the discussion on the italian forum: http://www.406coupe.it/forum/topic.asp? ... hichpage=4
We use english since a polish guy is now helping us out.

steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Login Utenti
:cry: :cry:

Edit: The English probably would just say on of those things to turn chestnuts. All you really need for it really is a small conveyor belt to transfer them straight into the bin - yuk!

OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

steve_earwig wrote:
Login Utenti
:cry: :cry:

Edit: The English probably would just say on of those things to turn chestnuts. All you really need for it really is a small conveyor belt to transfer them straight into the bin - yuk!
My bad.
Here are the important parts:
krzychu.pl wrote:Yes, were the mounting options Webasto in 406
Mounted only in Peugeot service , at an additional cost
Controlled and programmed with Climatronic panel
so it looks

You can perform additional motor heating ,External 220V
set:
Heater, the cable connecting the grounding cable (220V extension cord into an outlet), zinc paste, mounting bracket, screw

Place of assembly:

The entire installation site should be clean with all kinds of dirt, sand, and should be removed any kind of inequality to avoid heat loss.

We put zinc paste

So it looks like after installation:
The original screw (lower) motor mounting bracket has been replaced (long) from the set.

Plug-in connector:

The cable 220 V

Connect the ground cable

Connect at night, and in the morning the engine is warm, very quickly we have heat in the cabin and easy starting
Power, 300 Watt heater

OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

That looks familiar, the heater for a Vitara fits through a core plug but the one for the HDi is just a sump heater, I had one on my D8 and I can't say it made that much difference - as nothing circulates all it does is warm the oil up & when the engine starts running there's not enough oil to warm the engine up by much. Even the core plug heater won't do very much as the coolant isn't circulating...

Interesting about the Polish 406 with the Webasto, I think we have a job for Diskopugpol...

OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

steve_earwig wrote:That looks familiar, the heater for a Vitara fits through a core plug but the one for the HDi is just a sump heater, I had one on my D8 and I can't say it made that much difference - as nothing circulates all it does is warm the oil up & when the engine starts running there's not enough oil to warm the engine up by much. Even the core plug heater won't do very much as the coolant isn't circulating...

Interesting about the Polish 406 with the Webasto, I think we have a job for Diskopugpol...
this's interesting too (prices. high prices.):
http://stores.ebay.de/NiMarks-Shop/_i.h ... d=18182346

steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Better off with the crunchy frog...

I wonder why the HDi heater is just a sump heater, from what I remember even the 2.1td is a core plug one.

OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

steve_earwig wrote:Better off with the crunchy frog...

I wonder why the HDi heater is just a sump heater, from what I remember even the 2.1td is a core plug one.
The frog's actually a good design. Maybe there are different models, who knows?

What about using the car's pump?

steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Errr, wouldn't that kind of require the engine to be running? :shock:

Oh excellent, they don't deliver the frog outside the EU :roll:

OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

steve_earwig wrote:Errr, wouldn't that kind of require the engine to be running? :shock:

Oh excellent, they don't deliver the frog outside the EU :roll:
I mean, one could connect additional power to the standard car water pump and add a heater. And turn on the power when required. Wasn't this what you meant before?

steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I don't think so, I think that was about the additional heaters - if you could supply these with an alternative 12 volt power supply all you'd need then is something to pump the water about. That is, if your car has them in the first place (but there's always possibility of retro-fit...)

The standard water pump is driven by the cam belt...

Edit: Not exactly a glowing recommendation http://www.benzworld.org/forums/unimog/ ... eater.html