Power Folding Mirrors

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

stealthe
2.0 16v

Re: Power Folding Mirrors

Post by stealthe »

Door switches side by side, Exec on the left, GTX on the right. Turn the switch to the dot at six o'clock to fold the mirrors. Don't try turning the standard switch.

How to remove the door mirrors. Open the door.
Remove the two round plugs and the triangular cover.
The triangular cover is held by three pegs, and can be pulled gently out.
The rubber bung allows access to the wires from inside the car.
Undo the three screws and remove the mirror. The rubber pad was stuck on mine, take care not to damage it.
Unplug the wires, and the mirror is free.
See the earlier post on how to dismantle the mirror and to swap the outer shell, no need to respray, here. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12652#p115163

stealthe
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

I have right now tryed to look if i have the wiring in place for folding ones .. but it was inconclusive i couldn't see very well the cables that goes into the socket where the plug of the mirror go..

Could you give me the pics of this socket ? And if you can point out which cables i must have in place for the folding motors .. thank you.

in this case, i have to buy the mirrors and the switch with the folding function.. right ? or can i just use the relay method so when i lock and unlock the car they fold and unfold ?
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol:
mattyg
1.8 16v

Post by mattyg »

Read this post last night and went out int the drive in my boxers didnt realise my car was fitted with folding mirrors thanks guys.

Matt
Petrol executive 2001 model Running on L.P.G
DiscoPol
Shiny New C5 2.2 Bi-turbo!

Post by DiscoPol »

:arrowu: :arrowu: PMSL @ that, its the sort of thing i would do.
Welly wrote:Well butter my arse!
stealthe
2.0 16v

Post by stealthe »

RayneR wrote:I have right now tryed to look if i have the wiring in place for folding ones .. but it was inconclusive i couldn't see very well the cables that goes into the socket where the plug of the mirror go..
If your car was fitted with folding mirrors it will have the switches on the left of this pic, with a dot at 6 o'clock.

If your switch is like the one on the right then you don't have folding mirrors, and the wiring will not be in place.(Probably, but knowing peugeot some cars will and some wont!)
RayneR wrote:in this case, i have to buy the mirrors and the switch with the folding function.. right ? or can i just use the relay method so when i lock and unlock the car they fold and unfold ?
If you want to put folding mirrors on your car, you can get hold of the mirrors, wire up my relay circuit and possibly a switch somewhere for manual control, if required, and the mirrors
will fold out when the ign is turned on, and fold in when the ign is turned off. I described using a feed from the acc. position on the ign switch.(The one that switches the radio on.)
If you can find another circuit to power the switched feed to my relays then you could hook that up and trigger the mirror fold with that. You could wire them to just a manual switch, rather
than try to automate them.
I didn't get around to working out how to trigger the mirrors from the central locking, but I think that a latching relay hooked into the locking circuit 'may' work to fold/unfold on the remote.

A mirror with folding motor will have the wires shown on the right below, Brown, White, Green, Yellow/Green, Pink.

The other option, one that I haven't explored, is to get hold of the mirrors, door switches, door loom and any other parts that may be required.
(Don't quote me on that list as I have NO idea what would be needed!)

stealthe
stealthe
2.0 16v

Post by stealthe »

mattyg wrote:Read this post last night and went out int the drive in my boxers didnt realise my car was fitted with folding mirrors thanks guys.

Matt
You're welcome!

stealthe
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

Stealthe, i have saw that pictures already, i have the normal GTX ones ..temp sens , electric angle adjustment, heat control. But i couldn't see verywell the other side of the socket where the plug of the mirror plugs in , do you have any picture of one of the sockets for the mirrors with folding mirrors ? this can be very conclusive, so i could be sure i have the wiring .. ( well i have the wiring for a lot of stuff, including eletric and heated seats, cruise control this one i'm still in the quest to enable it on the ECU, side airbags which i dont have )
2000/May 406 Estate 2.0 HDI 110bhp DW10ATED now with 205k km & now with cruise control & now remaped @ 134bhp :lol:
stealthe
2.0 16v

Post by stealthe »

It's hard to see the wiring on the door but,
that's the wiring on my GTX. There are only the five wires for the glass position and heater.
I had a quick look on the Exec doors a while ago, because someone asked about the relays inside the door.
As far as I could tell by touch, there were no relays in the door. I don't recall hearing anything when operating the mirrors either.
Once I get my current Exec back I'll check that. (But I'm not going to strip it down!)

stealthe
RayneR
3.0 24v

Post by RayneR »

hmm interesting, the yellow one is a yellow/green ? in my passenger side ( LHD ) i could see at least, a grey, yellow/green, blue, pink, cables on the socket i don't remember very well the rest of them, its not easy to check the wiring because the socket doesn't come up even removing it from the holder that its holding it .. when you have the change, could you see this on your exec ? thank you

best foto i could take :

stealthe
2.0 16v

Post by stealthe »

Before you get too excited, the wiring colours on the door loom do not match the colours on the mirrors.

The position of the wires would tell you more than the colour. On the mirror the wires are laid out like this.

1__2__3 _4__5__6__7
8__9_10_11_12_13_14

1 Brown, Position
2 White, Position
3 Green, Position
4 None, by the locking clip
5 Yellow/Green, Folding
6 Pink, Folding
7 Black, Temp. sensor
8 Yellow, Memory
9 Purple, Memory
10 Orange, Memory
11 Grey, Memory
12 Blue, Heater
13 Red, Heater
14 Black, Temp.sensor

So 1,2,3 (Glass pos.) will always be there. 12,13 (Heater) should be there. 7,14 will be there if there is a temp. sensor.
All the others are for memory and folding and will only be present on top models.
I don't believe that peugeot would fit the extra wires to lower models, because the memory, folding mirrors where not an option.
I have no idea if the body loom has the wiring for the seat memory unit.

stealthe
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

Just wondering, if I buy something like this + folding mirrors, will I have the wiring in place? I have an exec, but italian executives are poorer than yours.

could you provide a pic of the switches from the downside, comparing switches with folding option with switches without?
Like you did some posts ago, but turned 180 degrees.
Thanks.
2001 2.2HDi saloon Executive (not the English exec, worse!) in Obsidian Black. Semi-Mux D9, build code 8761
Want a remap? Contact us, learn to do it yourself on ecuedit.com or let the professionals of editecu.com do it for you!

ecuedit.com | carecus.com | editecu.com | boschecus.com | carsrubber.com | egrswitch.com | car-specification.com
stealthe
2.0 16v

Post by stealthe »

Guess I need to pull all my cars apart to see what is there in the way of wiring etc! Of course the random way the french fit electrics may make that a futile exercise.

stealthe
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

stealthe wrote:Guess I need to pull all my cars apart to see what is there in the way of wiring etc! Of course the random way the french fit electrics may make that a futile exercise.

stealthe
Only if ou want to, it's not that important. I'm also trying to find out if LHD and RHD switches are the same. By looking at the bottom of the switches I'll find out, and also find out if my car already have the wiring in place.
If so, with an expense <100£ I should be able to fit folding mirrors as from factory!
2001 2.2HDi saloon Executive (not the English exec, worse!) in Obsidian Black. Semi-Mux D9, build code 8761
Want a remap? Contact us, learn to do it yourself on ecuedit.com or let the professionals of editecu.com do it for you!

ecuedit.com | carecus.com | editecu.com | boschecus.com | carsrubber.com | egrswitch.com | car-specification.com
stealthe
2.0 16v

Post by stealthe »

Exec switches at the top, GTX below.

Switches from a '52 plate Exec.

All look the same to me.

Loom on the Exec.

And on the GTX.

Again they look the same.

Both cars are a similar age, (2000), and high spec models, so lower trim levels may be wired differently.

stealthe
OdinEidolon
3.0 24v

Post by OdinEidolon »

much much thanks for this, if it seems the wiring are the same I could get a couple of mirrors and the switch and see if that works, as I assume the BSI doesn't have anything to do with that.
In the weekend I may dismantle mine and see if it's the same.
Again thanks, super fast job.