Power Folding Mirrors

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Re: Power Folding Mirrors

Post by FarmerPug »

perhaps if the power coming from the central locking servo could be sent to a relay which puts the mirrors into the right position, or with some bsi changes
stealthe
2.0 16v

Post by stealthe »

OK, I've now got a working car to test on, an early D9 exec. I want the mirrors to fold with the remote locking, like my 407. It's not my top priority but I'll be looking into it.
Currently thinking of putting in my relay circuit to autofold the mirrors, and hook in the original switch to allow manual folding. If I get anywhere with it I'll post it up.

stealthe
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

Auto Fold with Central Locking Ill be very interested to see how you do that one, get plenty of pics of your work.
stealthe
2.0 16v

Post by stealthe »

I will probably go for fold with ignition first, on the acc. position. The remote locking option will probably need a latching relay setup. Depends how enthusiastic I am.

stealthe
wasp
2.0 16v

Post by wasp »

Hi Stealth,
i have a set of folding mirrors and exec window switches with rotation knob to suit to fit to my glx hdi 99 d9, and have been looking over the web for info on wiring etc in view of getting to work as an exec and poss locking on the deadlock button thereafter!
im waiting for a pair of exec front door looms which should be with me by wed this week from ebay.
ive read that the mirror wiring is independant of the memory settings in the big box of tricks under the drivers seat. the memory settings just control the glass angles if you know what i mean.
Hope you can get it to work off the central locking and share your knowledge here.
heres some usefull info ive dug up below.......i also have a wiring diagram for them which im sure will make sence to you,im crap with electrics! but i dont know how to post on here.its a pic jpg in my pics folder? maybe i can email it to you?

"The casing of the motor on which the whole mirror sits is circular and the side slides against the switch button. The rotating surface has 2 (as far as I remember) small indeepenings, which denote end positions. The switch feeds a relay inside the door, which, when switch gets opened (mirror end position), disconnects the power supply from the mirror motor. This operates same way for both folding and unfolding. The control switch inside the cabin only inverts the polarity of the motor power supply (180' turn). The motor power supply is on the outer 2 tracks of that circular switch, the inner ones are for mirror adjustments.

The relay itself is time delayed (you may, probably, hear a click and even if mirror doesn't move it clicks again), this is done to allow the mirror to move from switch open position (indeepening) to closed (flat), later it moves on it's own until reaches another indeepening and circuit cuts. "

"A HDI Is For Life and NOT Just For Xmas!!!"
sidb
1.8 8v

Post by sidb »

Mine have worked all the time ive had the car until a year os so back when a bloke crossed into my lane coming toward me and clashed with my mirror which smacked it to the folded position,shattered his glass and housing,justice !!........mine from that point went loco.....took it apart and repaired a minor crack with araldite on the mirror adjustment holder but from then on but not all the time when turning on the ignition the mirrors both side go through what can only be described as an initialisation taking a couple of seconds although they are always in the correct position when this stops.....the folding correctly works as before....the heater however does not work on this side but did pre-smack.......anyone have an answer ???? i have and can live with it but i'd love to be able to repair it.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

get a new bit of glass, the element might be cracked, and the memory thing is down to a loose wire.
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

my mirrors are powered by my arms :mrgreen:
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
Woody
1.8 16v

Post by Woody »

FarmerPug wrote:my mirrors are the foldiey job and i use them frequently, there is elecrical gubbins in the seat that recalls the positon of the seat and mirror, ive taken a video of them so heres a bit of multimedia:
h8BH2tVJe24

Wow!! A full tank of fuel. How posh are you :mrgreen:
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

well it is an executive :oops:
what, i always fill the car, i dont go for the sip here and there, just the full bank breaking fill up, does over 4 weeks.
Woody
1.8 16v

Post by Woody »

Only messin' :mrgreen:

Keeping them on the full side is the best way to run your car. I know lots of people that fill up evry time they used the car rather than wait until it's nearly empty. 8)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

The thinking is usually that the car is lighter with less fuel in it, so increasing economy. I suppose that only works if you pass your favourite gas station every day, otherwise if you have to go out of your way to fill up you're wasting your time...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

its also another occasion were you would have to stop and loose momentum to fill up. Its better getting the fill up out of the way in one gulp, mainly because the smell of diesel gives me a headache, every time without fail.
stealthe
2.0 16v

Post by stealthe »

OK, I'm back. Below is a (Very :lol: ) basic image to show how to automate your folding mirrors on the ignition.
Two five pin relays are used, with the ignition off they supply power to the motor in one direction, folding the mirrors.
When the ignition is switched on, the relays are energised and reverse the current, unfolding the mirrors.

Connections:
A, 12v

B, Earth

C, Earth

D, 12v

I haven't shown the supply/earth that triggers the relays as I felt it would muddle the image, but basicly a switched feed, connected to both relays is all that is required.
The switch could be a feed from the Acc. position on the ignition or a manual switch. The Acc. feed could also have a manual switch to cut the power and fold the mirrors at will.
The 12v feed for the mirror motors would be a permanent live. Two relays should switch both mirrors, so they could be mounted under the dash and speaker wire used to extend
the mirror motor wires from the doors.
If anyone can post up a clearer diagram, I'm sure mine can be improved on.
The relays I'm planning on using can be seen here, viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14960#p142528 . There are also some near the passenger fusebox inside.

stealthe
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Looks an interesting mod, where did you stick the relays, in the door?

My dad's C5 folds the mirrors in and out with the central locking, now that would be cool!
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.