Gear knob removal - how the hell?

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

no2lurch
3.0 24v

Gear knob removal - how the hell?

Post by no2lurch »

I plan to shorted my gear lever this weekend but i cant remove the know for love nor money. its suck fast.

how do i get it off?
Past car - D9 2.2 SRi estate, sleeper, family wagon & general hauler!
Current car - Ph3 1.8 306
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: Gear knob removal - how the hell?

Post by Welly »

Oh Yesssssss,

Not had one of these for ages, can I start?

(sorry lurchy, all will become clear, i'm only messing)
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
no2lurch
3.0 24v

Post by no2lurch »

i know whats gonna happen... my thread will get hijacked by people going on about knob jobs and pulling it off!

i just want to know how i can remove the neccessary to shorten the lever! lol
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

This is one of my previous posts on the subject:
highlander wrote: I've done this myself.

Twist the gearknob anti-clockwise. This can require a huge amount of effort and force.

It should click round about 30 degrees.

Then you need to pull upwards as hard as you can.

Don't be surprised if you have to sit on the centre console/arm rests with both feet on the dashboard to get the damn thing to move. Also don't be surprised if you slice your hand open on one of the bits of metal that are used to hold the gearknob in place on top of the stick, and don't be surprised at the amount of blood and gore that such a "small" cut can generate.

Don't be surprised by the amount of foul language you will utter upon discovering this, directed both at the bitch car that bit you, or the world around you in general.

Finally, don't be surprised if all the colour drains from your face as the flow of blood from your open wound continues as you run out of breath from having sworn too much.

Wash your cut hand with warm water, clean the wound with disinfectant / antiseptic, and dress it with a sterile bandage.

After you've calmed down and cleaned the blood (YOUR OWN BLOOD) off the upholstery, dashboard, centre console and sun visors, unclip the gaiter from its plastic surround, and replace it with your new one.

See? So easy, even I could do it.
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
no2lurch
3.0 24v

Post by no2lurch »

i've tried twisting it, but the lever just twists too!
Welly

Post by Welly »

Ok, Ok, maybe I should leave the inevitable jokes - even the one about wanting a smaller shaft :|

It is possible, most have found but it sounds like a lot of force is needed and you'll be scared of damaging it?

I can't remember if we figured if it's possible to shorten the stick itself? can anyone remember?

Something tells me that the stick from a coupe was the answer? the 406 does have quite a long stick though doesn't it?
Cars in my care:
no2lurch
3.0 24v

Post by no2lurch »

there is a procedure on here on how to shorten the lever whish seems very straight forward (bit og cutting and fiddling involved) but i just cant get my knob off. (DOH)
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

Yes, just give the knob a good old yank.

..... what?!
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

no2lurch wrote:I plan to shorted my gear lever this weekend but i cant remove the know for love nor money. its suck fast.

how do i get it off?
search box at the top right of every page on this site wrote:Search found 83 matches: gear knob
:roll:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Welly

Post by Welly »

mjb - sod that, I've just searched for "pull it off" and got 885 matches 8)
Cars in my care:
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

213 matches for "knob" (this use of the word makes it 214, plus the one in the title of my post I guess makes it 215).

Now, lets have some innuendo bingo:

Basically, turn the knob (now 216) anticlockwise 30 degrees till it clicks into place. Pull the knob (217) upwards, until it gives and comes off.

Wear grippy gloves if your hands keep slipping off your knob (218).

I think the gear stick is as long as it is because upper spec 406s have arm rests - therefore you need a longer stick to be able to reach it from your arm rest. Mine doesn't have an arm rest. But I'm not shortening my stick for anybody.

I might get a new knob (219) though, there's a nice one I saw on eBay which is leather, chrome, and has a strip of walnut the same colour and similar pattern to the walnut on the dash and door trim. Might be a nice upgrade, that - a shiny leather knob (220).

HOUSE!
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

Use a mole grips on the gearstick just underneath the knob, don't put it on right though. Then hit the molegrips upwards with a mallet until the knob comes off :supafrisk:
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
eoin27
The Irish 406 addict

Post by eoin27 »

There is some serious hacksawing required if its one of those thick shafts rather than the skinny ones. It varies from pug to pug. I havent established any kind of pattern yet. My uncles HDi had a thick shaft whereas both my HDi's hadnt. The coupe has a thick shaft as do all coupes. http://www.peugeot406coupe.com/phpBB3/v ... =45&t=3168
2000 D9 Coupé 2.0 SE EW10J4 Scarlet Red - 5 litres of oil gone in 500 miles!!! Time for a new coupe me thinks
no2lurch
3.0 24v

Post by no2lurch »

eoin27 wrote:There is some serious hacksawing required if its one of those thick shafts rather than the skinny ones. It varies from pug to pug. I havent established any kind of pattern yet. My uncles HDi had a thick shaft whereas both my HDi's hadnt. The coupe has a thick shaft as do all coupes. http://www.peugeot406coupe.com/phpBB3/v ... =45&t=3168
my lever was the same as the ones in those pics, and i can certainly say, no hacksawing was needed at all.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

At the risk of opening up another forum of more knob jokes, does anyone know how to remove a gear knob with the lift-up top left reverse??
I have lifted up the gaiter like a skirt, unclipped the cable from its housing, but the knob is kinda pinned to a white sleeve attached to the gearstick. I have the chance of a new knob/gaiter from a breaker, but I have to remove it myself. As mine is already broken, I don't want to replace it with one that I have just broken trying to remove it...! Any ideas how to free the white sleeve thingy??
Can just tug on a standard 406 / 306 / 806 etc, but these don't have the lift-up to reverse cable.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.