Power Folding Mirrors

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

af1960

Re: Power Folding Mirrors

Post by af1960 »

My nearside mirror has developed a life of its own!

Sometimes when I fold out the mirrors, the glass is given a quick wiggle (just like the offside) and settles to the previous memory position. On other occcasions, it hunts around and ends up either pointing skywards or towards the gorund at the full extent of its travel.

Is the ECU I have read about under the seat the ECU for the engine management system as well or is there a separate box of tricks just to control the seat and mirrors?

If the answer is that it is a separate ECU, whereabouts is it located under the seat and can you simply plug in a replacement?

Thanks
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

when i got my car the leccy mirror did some weird stuff it was the passenger one which always set itself in mad places, it might have been one of my first questions on here, after taking the mirror off i tried to clean the plug used wd40 and it hasnt done it since, i think the mirror forgets its got a memory function and just keeps searching.
plod
3.0 24v

Post by plod »

af1960 wrote:My nearside mirror has developed a life of its own!

Sometimes when I fold out the mirrors, the glass is given a quick wiggle (just like the offside) and settles to the previous memory position. On other occcasions, it hunts around and ends up either pointing skywards or towards the gorund at the full extent of its travel.

Is the ECU I have read about under the seat the ECU for the engine management system as well or is there a separate box of tricks just to control the seat and mirrors?

If the answer is that it is a separate ECU, whereabouts is it located under the seat and can you simply plug in a replacement?

Thanks
The seat ecu sits in a plastic tray under the drivers seat, and is completely seperate to the engine ecu

I've no experience with the power folding mirrors, but I don't think it will be the ecu, as have vague recolection of someone saying what this problem was, but not the details, but I think it related to the gubbins within the mirror, not the ecu
1999 D8.5 HDi GLX - Sold :(

2007 Mondingo Zetec - I seek forgiveness :( Bring back my 406
NinoB
2.0 16v

Post by NinoB »

stealthe wrote: Thu May 05, 2011 9:08 am OK, I'm back. Below is a (Very :lol: ) basic image to show how to automate your folding mirrors on the ignition.
Two five pin relays are used, with the ignition off they supply power to the motor in one direction, folding the mirrors.
When the ignition is switched on, the relays are energised and reverse the current, unfolding the mirrors.

Connections:
A, 12v

B, Earth

C, Earth

D, 12v

I haven't shown the supply/earth that triggers the relays as I felt it would muddle the image, but basicly a switched feed, connected to both relays is all that is required.
The switch could be a feed from the Acc. position on the ignition or a manual switch. The Acc. feed could also have a manual switch to cut the power and fold the mirrors at will.
The 12v feed for the mirror motors would be a permanent live. Two relays should switch both mirrors, so they could be mounted under the dash and speaker wire used to extend
the mirror motor wires from the doors.
If anyone can post up a clearer diagram, I'm sure mine can be improved on.
The relays I'm planning on using can be seen here, http://www.406oc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... 60#p142528 . There are also some near the passenger fusebox inside.

stealthe
Hi
Trying to check if anyone finally succeed in connecting the folding mirrors with central lock, so that it will operate on remote?
NinoB
2.0 16v

Post by NinoB »

Anyone with the central lock folding mirror circuit or link?