instrument illumination colour changing

Talk about whats Hot or Not in your 406. Fitting Leather? New Steering Wheel? Changed the pedals? Ask and tell in here!

Moderator: Moderators

no2lurch
3.0 24v

instrument illumination colour changing

Post by no2lurch »

i have been thinking about this for a while... can i change the colour of the instrument illumination?

if i take the clocks out, will i risk messing upo the BSI or anything else?
Past car - D9 2.2 SRi estate, sleeper, family wagon & general hauler!
Current car - Ph3 1.8 306
Blue406
406 Gimp

Re: instrument illumination colour changing

Post by Blue406 »

All pre Com2000 dash clocks get their colour from the plastic the dial faces are printed on. All bulbs are simply clear.
To change the colour you will need to somehow sand off the orange backing. Otherwise, any coloured bulbs (led replacements) would be a mix of the colour of the bulb mixed with orange.

On the Com2000 units are lit up by coloured leds. So you could replace the leds if you were savvy with a soldering iron and had a VERY steady hand.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Blue406 wrote:All pre Com2000 dash clocks get their colour from the plastic the dial faces are printed on. All bulbs are simply clear.
On the Com2000 units are lit up by coloured leds. So you could replace the leds if you were savvy with a soldering iron and had a VERY steady hand.
Bluddy 'ell! I thought my pre-com2000 D9 cluster had LEDs because I've had the thing a whole two years without having to remove the cluster for a bulb change (a weekly occurrence on my D8s) :shock:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
no2lurch
3.0 24v

Post by no2lurch »

how do i know if i have com2000?
Past car - D9 2.2 SRi estate, sleeper, family wagon & general hauler!
Current car - Ph3 1.8 306
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

Com 2000 dials have blue gradiations on the "cold" side of the Oil and Water gauges.
The needles white colour continues all the way from tip to tip (as oposed to stopping at the hub)
And the wiper/ indicator stalks have a fatter, more ergonomic look like these: http://www.bba-reman.com/images/Peugeot ... talk_4.jpg

Com 2000 was installed in all 406s post 2001
Blue406
406 Gimp

Post by Blue406 »

mjb wrote:
Blue406 wrote:All pre Com2000 dash clocks get their colour from the plastic the dial faces are printed on. All bulbs are simply clear.
Bluddy 'ell! I thought my pre-com2000 D9 cluster had LEDs because I've had the thing a whole two years without having to remove the cluster for a bulb change (a weekly occurrence on my D8s) :shock:
I've had mine 3 years, not one bulb gone yet (touch wood)
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

OMG, seriously tempting fate here but I've had mine over 8 years since it was 6 months old and the only bulbs I've ever changed are headlights (one blew so I changed both dips and both front sidelight bulbs for uprated ones). I also added the other rear foglight bulb. Gotta assume that every other bulb on the whole car is original 8) .
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

taking the clocks out doesnt mess up the bsi provided its the original ones that go back in, and as a precaution take off the battery. I did this when putting the white dials on which look good.
406BE
2.0 16v

Post by 406BE »

been thinking to do the same on my car, its a 2001 d9, is that the clear bulbs or the leds ?
trem1
3.0 24v

Post by trem1 »

DaiRees wrote:OMG, seriously tempting fate here but I've had mine over 8 years since it was 6 months old and the only bulbs I've ever changed are headlights (one blew so I changed both dips and both front sidelight bulbs for uprated ones). I also added the other rear foglight bulb. Gotta assume that every other bulb on the whole car is original 8) .
Guess what Dai's gonna spend the next few weeks doing :roll: :roll:

2004 Iron Grey 407se 136bhp......Written Off
2006 Moonstone blue 407 se 136 bhp.....Written off
2006 silver 407 SW..........replacement
neildavies
3.0 24v

Post by neildavies »

Only after reading this I realised that I took my D8 dash out a few times, to change the dashboard bulbs and climate control bulbs. I had the D9 coupe for the same amount of time and never had to do it.

I can say it with confidence after part ex-ing it last week.
2007 Mondeo Titanium X 2.0 TDCi
2007 307cc Sport 2.0 HDi 136
Gone but never forgotten: 2002 406 Coupe SE 2.2 HDi