Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

cliffk
2.0 16v

Stiff steering

Post by cliffk »

2001 406 HDI estate.

I have a steering problem.

Between the straight ahead position and quarter turn either left or right the steering is quite stiff and struggles to self centre when driving, go past the quarter turn point and the steering feels normal.

Ive checked power steering no loss of fluid and definitely a difference with the engine running.
Top strut bearings changed around 18 months ago with new springs.
Bottom ball joint appears OK.
Bottom wish bones appear OK.
Front wheels were tracked about 6 months ago when new tyres fitted

Anyone had this problem and found the cause?
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Stiff steering

Post by steve_earwig »

ISTR something about a steering column UJ. Yep, stick "stiff steering" in the search box and up she'll come :wink:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
cliffk
2.0 16v

Post by cliffk »

Hi
Thanks for the reply yes Ive seen that if i remember right it talks about the uj at the back of the engine on the rack, Ive sprayed that and greased it with a long radiator brush but its not helped.

I was searching to find a replacement and see it looks like there is another uj on the bottom of the column in the foot well so I'm going to see if I can find that and lubricate it
cliffk
2.0 16v

Post by cliffk »

Reading the original post on this problem again i see the poster attacked the bottom uj from under the car so I got under there, I had been trying to spray what I thought was the UJ from the above getting under the car I could see the actual UJ is up inside a recess, access is good from under the car so a good scrubbing with paraffin and WD40 got it clean and then a scrubbing with grease has made a big improvement and got better on a test drive.