D8 V6 brake servo removal know how

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

bimble7116

D8 V6 brake servo removal know how

Post by bimble7116 »

I need to remove my D8 V6 brake servo, or at least move it forward to allow access for the pedal box to be replaced (I'm doing a D8 to D9 clutch hydraulics conversion).

I'm hoping that somebody will be able to offer some know how. So far, I have the glovebox out which exposes the blower motor - that will need to come out to access the servo mounting bolts.

Can anyone please offer some methodology on how best to get the blower motor out - and then the brake servo?

With thanks and regards
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: D8 V6 brake servo removal know how

Post by PeterN »

Certainly not easy on the 2.0. diesel as the linkage runs along behind the engine. The book suggests removing the cylinder head. The one on my wife's car failed and I wasn't about to take the head off so I sold it, it had done 200.000+ miles though so had earned its keep. It may be possible to move the engine forward far enough to get to it but I'm getting to old for jobs like that now.

Peter
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Ah, I was wondering when people were going to start doing this, I could see all the D8 ML5 clutch hydraulic systems going NLS on Service Box a few years back (they were blinking expensive enough anyway) and I was looking at how much would actually have to be changed - all of it.

Anyway, no experience I'm afraid, I had a look in Haynes and it was looking easy enough. And then I remembered it doesn't cover the V6 :evil:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
bimble7116

Post by bimble7116 »

Thanks fellas.

The conversion D8 to D9 clutch hydraulics.... is a very big job! It entails replacement of the pedal box assembly (hence the need to move the brake servo), the brake master cylinder, both clutch master and slave cylinders with the connecting pipework.

It also entails engine removal (I guess it may be possible with the engine fitted - removing at least the rear head on the V6- but damnably difficult) I have my V6 out of the car anyway, as the cambelt was due and I wanted to change the clutch.

With access to everything, It's also a great opportunity to change engine mountings, spark plugs etc etc. Note of caution - if you need to remove your V6 - don't do as I did and lift it out of the top, it'd doable - but it's much better to remove the subframe and drop it out from below. When mine goes back in - it will be from below.

Back to the head scratch - blower motor removal next...
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Haynes makes the blower motor look easy - remove trim panel from under the dash, remove glovebox if you think it'll make it easier, disconnect cables, undo screws and out she comes. I'm guessing this is a lie :frown:

steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

I just realised it's not the fan motor you need to remove, it's the box it sits in. I've spent a while searching but I'm not finding much, however on the D9 the heater/air conditioning unit/HVAC is all one thing (I wouldn't have thought they'd have changed it much) and splits top and bottom. Step 2: remove dash :(

I'm having trouble thinking about the layout on a right-hooker (mine are/were left-hookers), since PSA decided to remove free access to Service Box I can't look it up any more either. As I said I did some research many years ago, I know I looked at it for a while but I didn't write much on here. I did wonder if just the clutch master cylinder could be changed (fit remote reservoir from a bike), is the pedal box that much different? Could it be modified?

JackBerwick

Post by JackBerwick »

Spotted this at a silly price, I keep getting tempted to buy Sealy. Is it any use to you guys that have Vacuum Tester & Brake Bleeding kit?
https://www.toolden.co.uk/p/vacuum-test ... eding-kit/