Stoooooopid question

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

Vespapx177
1.6 8v

Stoooooopid question

Post by Vespapx177 »

Hi, been a while, had a lot of good advice on here before but went and bought the 407 for a bit, back with a 2003 90 hdi estate 406.. as title suggests, I have a couple of (for you experienced lot) stoooopid question

1. the passenger side handbrake cable is tight and functioning as it should, driver side (I think) is the short cable connected by a rectangular block??) is very loose after the holding pin pulled through, did the bolt mod instead of standard now - noticed on fleabay you can buy the the 3 cables separately; pass or driver or long front to rear or the set of 3, can I buy and fit the cable that is saggy? And can I adjust it at the connector or is it all done from the handbrake end, been reading all day but most guides are about swapping the whole thing and my head is now nipping

I had a quick look, only screw adjuster I could see was for the (tight) passenger side, do I need to swap the lot over?

Cheers
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: Stoooooopid question

Post by PeterN »

Not had any experience of 407s I'm afraid.

Peter
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi, welcome back :cheesy:

The only issue I'm aware of is that the handbrake cables are different for the minority of cars with rear drums - and the cable sleeve can seize inside the rear back plates and a pig to remove ( I used a hammer on a 7mm socket to push the cable back through but no joy other than accidentally smashing my abs sensor... )

There is a handbrake adjustment guide ( done by John who has a wealth of experience ) in the knowledge base on the home page, I would send a link but I'm on my phone and not that clever....

Best of luck, it's a poor design but can work well when correctly set up.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Vespapx177
1.6 8v

Post by Vespapx177 »

Thanks for the replies, I had a look at the guide but the cable doesn't look the same, it has a large but where cable from front feeds in, mine doesn't, let me see if I can upload a photo
s-l1600.jpg
(26.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Vespapx177
1.6 8v

Post by Vespapx177 »

Where the white plastic bit is there's a short bit of cable with a box on it, it;s this side that is slack, the other side with the cable with the long threaded end on is tight, was wondering if I can just fit new cable into the box as I assume you can't tighten it by turning the metal box bit...... or can you???
Vespapx177
1.6 8v

Post by Vespapx177 »

PeterN wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:44 am Not had any experience of 407s I'm afraid.

Peter
Sorry, my mistake, I now have an 02 406 90HDI estate (D9??)
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Have you popped the disc off to see if it's connected properly to the expander set up

One of our members has a YouTube channel, plenty of videos to go through there - search for peugeotcitroen2cv
Vespapx177
1.6 8v

Post by Vespapx177 »

I had to change the shoes as:

1. They were knackered and
2. Driver side brake shoe pin had popped and was rattling about
3. Had just read the excellent bolt and washer mod for the shoes and decided on doing that

Decided if I was doing it I'd do the rear axle, followed guide on here on fitting shoes, setting up the adjuster, great how-to (it's why I join these forums, wealth of knowledge on here)

However in doing the discs I came across another (seperate) issue

Took the old disc off without removing the caliper, couldn't get new disc on, decided to remove bottom bolt but it rounded, managed to get top loose so managed just enough room to get disc on, set up the disc and shoes as per guide; turning the adjuster, backing off etc.. fitting pads noticed that caliper wasn't moving freely (clamped off the flexi hose, bleed nipple open) cracked it a few times with Mr Lump Hammer to see if would loosen up a but (caliper, not the bolt) but, alas, was stubborn like my Mrs.

I have bolt extractor but it will ruin the bolt, have posted elsewhere if the bolts are available or if they come with a rebuild kit

Long reply, sorry, but, yes, I followed the guide for the shoes
Vespapx177
1.6 8v

Post by Vespapx177 »

I use these, love them, yet to find a bolt they couldn't remove (when stuck on the end of my impact driver)
63045.jpg
http://www.406oc.co.uk/download/file.php?mode=view&id=3687
(63.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Ah, I see.

I have replied to your other thread regarding the bolts.

Rebuild kits are available from eBay, I nearly bought a set but chose to buy new calipers instead as the price difference was negligible....

New bolts are not included in the rebuild kits.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2351477601

Just incase you were wondering...

Edit: you should be able to fit the disc without removing the caliper by simply* removing the pads and sliding the caliper a bit, however we know that most sliders on rear calipers are also seized... :roll:
Vespapx177
1.6 8v

Post by Vespapx177 »

Wish I had £85, misses and 5 grandkids have wiped me out, bloody Christmas, bah humbug

I did 2 rebuilds on my 407 SW Sport but was wondering about the bolts, don't fancy scrappy ones, can always cut them down if I go Screwfix, you wouldn't happen to know if they are tapered at the end or just normal would you?
Vespapx177
1.6 8v

Post by Vespapx177 »

Ohh, and I have PP2000 and happy to help in Alfreton (Derbyshire)
Vespapx177
1.6 8v

Post by Vespapx177 »

GingerMagic wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:40 pm Ah, I see.

I have replied to your other thread regarding the bolts.

Rebuild kits are available from eBay, I nearly bought a set but chose to buy new calipers instead as the price difference was negligible....

New bolts are not included in the rebuild kits.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2351477601

Just incase you were wondering...

Edit: you should be able to fit the disc without removing the caliper by simply* removing the pads and sliding the caliper a bit, however we know that most sliders on rear calipers are also seized... :roll:

Cheers for that :cheesy:
Vespapx177
1.6 8v

Post by Vespapx177 »

Yeh, I got the disc on and set it up, works OK but, obviously, not properly yet