ABS fault - dodgy brake pedal

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

rightclickfix

ABS fault - dodgy brake pedal

Post by rightclickfix »

Hi all, just found this forum as I searched for new drop links for my 406 02 plate estate. When I brake, usually at speed when braking the pedal seems to bottom out and I can here like a springy noise as well as feel it. The front drop links are badly worn, all discs and pads fine and I had a mate over today who says the ABS rings look fine teeth wise (he had a 406 for years and did all his own repairs). We jacked it up and shook the wheels and the two NS ones had a little play but that's the worst front drop link worn. I do think the brake fluid might be a tad low mind?
Given the age of the car I don't want to be throwing a lot of money at it as I'm sure you'll understand but it is worth maintaining as it's otherwise in mint condition. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
TIA
Andy
soretoez
1.8 16v

Re: ABS fault - dodgy brake pedal

Post by soretoez »

I have a similar issue but with a half decent pedal and at slow speeds the weird noise and a twang is a bit disconcerting I've not been able to find the problem yet.
rightclickfix

Post by rightclickfix »

I can buy the 2 front drop links, 2 rear ones, 2 track rod ends as well as the rear cross link bars (apparently unique to this car?) for under or around £50 on ebay. I'm going to fit these, top up the brake fluid and go from there. In the mean time if anyone in the knows anything technical about ABS please let me know?
I do realise its an older car so don't expect a flurry of replies lol

Andy

ps: soretoes check the drop links etc like I have (clunking noises) apparently a ABS sensor could be gone too but are easy to fix..
soretoez
1.8 16v

Post by soretoez »

I have a feeling it's the abs pump in the last year I have nearly rebuilt the whole front suspension the only bits on the front that haven't been replaced yet are wheel bearings and the inner's and outer's on the steering rack as they are still tight.
When I did my lower ball joints I checked my abs rings nothing obvious and pp2k says the sensors are fine.
My other idea was maybe a sticky caliper piston but I put new discs, pads and sliders on due to a warped disc in june and no change to the noise or when it occurs.
I hope it's not the servo they are quite hard to get hold off.
Wolds406

Post by Wolds406 »

I realise this is an old thread but I had a similar issue, found the problem and solved it. Of course it might not be the same thing but the symptoms sound very familiar.

The problem I had was the strange brake feeling accompanied by a 'boing' when bringing the car to a stop. All quite disconcerting. What had happened was that one of the handbrake shoe retaining pins had popped out of the rusty splash plate that it should fix into. The pin had rattled around and bent the ABS sensor. Removing the debris and carefully straightening the sensor so it could get a proper signal from the reluctor ring completely fixed the problem. (The longer term fix I made involved replacing the splash plates, the handbrake shoes and fittings, and all the handbrake cables. That was fun and the car was so much better for it).
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Wolds406 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:51 pm replacing the splash plates, the handbrake shoes and fittings, and all the handbrake cables
Legend* has it that in certain parts of France when the Prisons get too full you get served this job instead of a custodial sentence; they only give you an adjustable spanner and flat-head screwdriver to complete the task.

Apparently the re-offending rate drops dramatically under this scheme.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
Wolds406

Post by Wolds406 »

:lol:
rightclickfix

Post by rightclickfix »

I've just got back here via the facebook group I just joined weirdly! It was my ABS rings to fault and the rear brake shoes AND pads (I never knew it had both?). I've had all discs, pads, shoes, 2 rings (I think, maybe 3) replaced, back box, ball joints, a cv joint, oil change and 5 new tyres this month and it runs like a dream BUT I still get an ABS fault popping up as I pull away lol