5175 E9 REAR SUSPENSION ARM

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

Killerko
1.8 16v

5175 E9 REAR SUSPENSION ARM

Post by Killerko »

Hi everybody,
my 406 2.0 HDI 90 diesel estate from 2000 started floating on the road last week. This week it got worse so I checked what is causing it and found this part broken:

I had no idea what it is called so I started my research.. I spent whole day yesterday trying to name the part and then order a replacement. This turned out to be a nightmare as this part that I identified as 'REAR SUSPENSION ARM' is absolutely nowhere to be found to buy. 0 linsting anywhere, 0 pictures of the part, nothing! And not only that, but there is also no video on youtube of anybody changing it.. the best I could find is a video of changing the bushes, but not the arm. there are videos for other cars but not a single 406... this is really strange as I usually have no problem to google up anything.. I have tried the usual as ebay, euro car parts, amazon, breakeryard various other car parts sites.. but when I search for 'rear suspension arm' or 'control arm' or similar it always gets me result for the front suspension arm which is like almost 90 degree bent boomerang shape.

I managed to find a replacement guide in haynes manual so that was encouraging that the part does exist :) and it is supposed to be changed haha.
The guide mentioned that I will need a new inner bolt as well ad the old one will have to be cut off to prevent the whole suspension and subframe to be moved.

So then I found this thread from here with the exactly same problem:
http://www.406oc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... rm#p246437

the last post recommends a link where the part should be available: http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/pages/index.jsp

So I went there I did my best to register and attempted to order, but I am not a garage or any kind of business and this website looks like it only serves these kind of customers.. I still managed to register somehow, put the parts I needed to my basket (all bolts+washers + the main rod only is £160 lol.. I think they should fly to my place and install it for that price) but I was not able to order/pay as I was not able to figure the website out.. it also doesnt help that it is in french heh. The error I get when I try to order is: 'Can not order: You are not attached to a PR Distributor'

I finally decided to register here and ask somebody for help as I pretty much hitting the wall here.. I am also a bit confused if there are left/right variants or it's universal for both sides as there is a little notch that holds a wire that when rotated it would be on the other side.. hmm. I could not find a left/right variant on the above website.

I need at least:
#1: 5175 E9 '02' REAR SUSPENSION ARM
#72: 6925 G9 NFP '02' (MUL) SCREW WITH EMBASE

and possibly the other bits:
#79, #12, #13, #70, #78

If anybody can point me to any direction how to order them from the website above or any other place that is willing to sell them to me that would be a great help.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Re: 5175 E9 REAR SUSPENSION ARM

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

You are referring to servicebox, which is a main dealer / independent garage website only.
You can register a fake garage :supafrisk: to open an account to veiw it BUT
You need to order parts from your local Peugeot main dealer, & yes they are left & right handed.

Bet it was awful to drive like that :shock:

Oh & it's D9 not E9 :)
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
Killerko
1.8 16v

Post by Killerko »

Thanks dirtydirtydiesel, so there is no way how to order from the servicebox website directly? I managed to register and I browsed the parts etc.. but no option to pay. I also sent email to my local Peugeot dealer, but got no reply so far.

Btw are you sure these parts are left/right handed? Because I am now convinced they are symmetrical.. or exactly the same on each end, which mean it can be rotated and used on both sides as needed with the 'pig tail' cable holder facing the correct side every time so the hand break cable can be attached to it. The other long bracket which is visible on the pic above is removable and can be attached to the new arm as needed.

Also from the servicebox website diagram it's definitely 5175 E9 ..haven't seen any D9 part hmm. Unless you are talking about different model of the 406.

And the best news is that using the part number I managed to find some used parts from some websites abroad!
One in Turkey for almost free.. but they refused to sell/ship abroad -.- so I ordered one from spain for 25 eur + 23 eur shipping = £45~ :cheesy: which is still A LOT cheaper than the price from servicebox.
Will update when the part arrive if it is indeed symmetrical..
Killerko
1.8 16v

Post by Killerko »

Success!

Ordered one more from the same guys from Spain to replace the other side, even tho it's not cracked, but it is heavily rusted.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Splendid :cheesy: Getting the other one is probably a wise precaution. It took me a while to figure it out but that's the upper arm, I don't think we've seen those rotting out before but years sitting covered in road rubbish and salt will do that.

I suspect you'll need your rear wheel alignment looking at now...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Killerko
1.8 16v

Post by Killerko »

Yes alignment is planned after the other arm is done.

That being said. I now understand why Haynes manual recommended cutting the bolt off as the other arm inner bolt is completely blocked by the spare wheel well:

So, I don't have a spare bolt to cut it.. I wonder if the spare wheel well can be moved. Anybody know?
Maybe I could just drill a hole from inside and remove the bold through it and then seal the hole after the replacement.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

The spare wheel well is part of the boot floor pressing. Of course it could be removed but that would be pretty unrealistic, loads of cutting, loads of welding. I doubt a new bolt would be that expensive but cutting a hole would probably be ok if you can patch it up effectively.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Just use a step dril & then a rubber blanking gromet :)

ps: the under side of your car is very heavily corroded :(
Has it lived by the coast for a long time ?
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:

Gilly
1.8 8v

Post by Gilly »

Hi there, can you give the link to where you got these from Spain?

Many thanks,
Andrew
2001 HDI 90bhp - current daily
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Andrew,

You do realise he bought second hand ones & painted them himself

Should be plenty available over here on the mainland :)

Gilly
1.8 8v

Post by Gilly »

dirtydirtydiesel wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 9:14 pm Andrew,

You do realise he bought second hand ones & painted them himself

Should be plenty available over here on the mainland :)
Thanks dirtydiesel!! I kinda missed that lol... I know these arms give a bit of bother on them after time, my last one snapped the n/s. Although mine look a lot rounder than the above arms...
2001 HDI 90bhp - current daily
Groom

Post by Groom »

Exactly the same has happened to me. The 5175 E9 control arm has rusted and failed and I’ve tried all day to see if I can get one from a scrappy or dealer. No joy. I would be a real shame if I have to scrap the 406 just because I can’t get this part. Any help would be appreciated. Where in Spain did you find the part?
okehdokeh
1.8 16v

Post by okehdokeh »

Check on ebay, there is usually a few Spanish car breakers listing on there. Probably been said before but the good thing about getting one from there is the warmer climate and lack of salt on the roads means they're not gonna be rotten from the inside out. They have caught on to the fact that these arms are hard to get over here and the prices have gone up over the last few years though. You can drill a drain hole where the water rests inside them so it drains away and give them a squirt of waxoyl or similar inside too.
Killerko
1.8 16v

Post by Killerko »

Hey Groom, have you been able to find your replacement arms?

I don't remember exactly where I bought it, but I do remember it was not available anywhere the usuall like ebay/amazon/euro car parts etc... I just googled every link that popped out with the part number and use the auto-translate function when I landed on some foreign website and tried to contact people who seems like have a listng for that part there. :lol: