Rear hubs / handbrake

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

Running406

Rear hubs / handbrake

Post by Running406 »

Hi I’m new so go gently please , after blowing fuses and treating underbody rust , fixing lights etc I decided to sort that handbrake and rear drivers side wheel hub evaporating puddles with heat ! Total failure , after wd40 and few taps and repeat I got the two hub bolts off on passenger rear but rust has welded the hub to the disc so on to drivers side / released caliper bolts and moved on to hub , not quite as welded to disc but both hub bolts heads now ruined and will have to be drilled out / noticed little rubber missing so probably explains sticking, anyway wheels back on and defeated 😕, on test run that all was still well turbo started hissing when I lifted off like never before , think the pug wants me to leave it alone
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: Rear hubs / handbrake

Post by GingerMagic »

Not meaning to sound patronising, but did you unwind the shoes before attempting to remove the disc?
Truthfully it's normally the calipers that stick and get hot, as the slider parts seize up.

Yes, the 406 handbrake is crap sometimes - it's okay when it's all set up and adjusted properly but it's not a great design.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Running406

Post by Running406 »

Hi I Didn’t go any further than the two hex screws holding hub to disc ! Came off fine on passenger side but rusted to hub on drivers side and didn’t budge , rubber grommet for adjusted was missing I think it’s fairly rusted on inside I shredded both hex screws they were rusted solid , I was surprised how good the suspension looks but il be changing out for new discs and hubs their well past it
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

If you are changing the rear discs anyway, I would be inclined to tap the disc all around the hub area with a hammer, to shock any rust between the shoes and the disc....
If the adjuster is siezed then this could be the issue, if you can't unwind it then the shoe is permanently pressing against the disc holding it in place.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Running406

Post by Running406 »

Hi yep spent a good while tapping in places and getting it to spin freely and seems to be functioning ok for the minute , plugged the adjustment hole and cleaned everything up , will be ok until replacements got , in fairness that’s the worst problem on car so I can’t complain really