POWER STEERING RACK, REMOVAL

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

gambit

POWER STEERING RACK, REMOVAL

Post by gambit »

Hi, I am in the process of removing the steering rack, and I am having trouble extricating it from the space behind the front offside wheel. It is the rod sticking out from the steering box that is preventing it from passing through the gap. Should I remove the rod from out of the steering box, or should I have dropped the subframe tray before I started. And, does he removal of the tray involve anything else other than undoing nuts and bolts. Any help would be much appreciated.
PhillipM
1.8 16v

Re: POWER STEERING RACK, REMOVAL

Post by PhillipM »

I took the subframe off to do mine, but you might be able to get it out by just lowering the subframe a little on the bolts (with a jack under it just in case)
benmack
1.6 8v

Post by benmack »

I'm having exactly the same problem. Did you resolve it? Do I need to drop the subframe?

The Haynes manual says the rack should just slide out, and various posts online say the same, but mine won't go, the steering column stub is about 2cm too long....
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I had too, the space is very limited but I fiddled with it and eventually got it out by rotating it all ways. I think lowering the subframe a little would be the easiest route, if you slacken all the bolts a little then just undo the ones on the drivers side it should help considerably - wish I had thought of it when I did mine.

Peter
benmack
1.6 8v

Post by benmack »

Thanks Peter, I'll try that. As you say, I probably only need to undo the bolts a bit...
benmack
1.6 8v

Post by benmack »

Problem solved - I rotated the rack 180° (so stub faces back towards rollbar), and it slides out the passenger side (LHS on RHD car)