D8 wheels on a D9 car - which wheel nuts?

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

jlmacd
1.8 16v

D8 wheels on a D9 car - which wheel nuts?

Post by jlmacd »

Was looking to swap the wheels from my, soon to be retired D8 2.0 GLX to my recently acquired D9 2.0 HDi 110. just prefer the style of the old to the new. Having read here about the compatibility of all wheels (except for cars with the Brembo brakes) I decided to go ahead today. Double checked all the specs for both vehicle wheel types and they appeared to match in every way. After swapping the first wheel, I happened to notice though that the wheel nuts for each wheel type are different. Here they are -

And here are the two wheel types....
this is the D8 wheel

and, this, the D9 wheel.

What I discovered was that the D8 wheel nuts had longer heads and have no countersunk 'shoulder' and the D9 ones are the opposite. The top photo shows the difference between them.
There is also a bit of difference in the thread lengths as seen here...

After looking at how much thread protruded from the back of the wheel, I decided it best policy to keep the same wheel nuts with their original wheels. All seems fine but I want to ask if anyone can confirm the hubs would be the same on both vehicles to accept the bolts from the other vehicle, if that makes sense?

Have swapped only the two fronts across so far. Have held off on the rears, hoping that someone can confirm this should all be safe and good. Fronts all went on fine and torqued up to spec.
Here's the progress so far, on the D9 with the D8 wheels on the front....

Its only personal preference but i think the D8 wheels are nicer. Plus they had far better tyres on them than the cheapos that came with the D9 - and i am bu**ered if I am handing those to the scrappy as they were only fitted a few months ago!

Thanks to any kind soul who can advise on this.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Re: D8 wheels on a D9 car - which wheel nuts?

Post by GingerMagic »

I would be inclined to agree and keep the bolts that were on the D8, for the new car...

I don't think it makes a difference to be honest, but for peace of mind... :cheesy:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
jlmacd
1.8 16v

Post by jlmacd »

Thanks GingerMagic. Done the full swap now and been doing plenty of road testing today. Came back with the same number of wheels I went out with, thank goodness :lol:
All seems sweet and the benefit of the Michelin CrossClimate tyres now on the D9, compared to the cheap nasty chinese tyres it came with, has improved the ride by far. Glad I took the time to do it now and still of the opinion the old wheels look better on there than the originals. Happy bunny, so far!

Question though: the car had the tracking done last week as part of the pre-mot service, prior to me buying it. Having now changed the wheels over, I am wondering, would it be good policy to have the tracking checked again ?
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

No, save your money.
You only really need to adjust the tracking if some of the suspension parts have been replaced, or you Muller the wheel against a kerb avoiding local scallywags in Clios.....
If it hadn't have been done I would suggest it, as its a new motor to you, but no need to do it again so soon.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
jlmacd
1.8 16v

Post by jlmacd »

Great. Glad I asked then and thanks for the advice.

Will put the money to better use - in the pot towards the V6! (The dream lives on...!)

My son drives a Clio ...... point duly noted! :lol:
ruwds
1.8 8v

Post by ruwds »

The early D9's had those alloys that were on your D8... Its even on the 406 accessories brochure called 'Raven Alloy'.

http://www.thepeugeotshop.co.uk/pub/fil ... sories.pdf

Just had a look at the prices at the end of the pdf, and they are actually the most expensive out of the selection! :shock:
2003 406 2.0 HDi 90 S (2016-2023)
• Connects2 USB/SD/Aux • Cruise Control
grasmere59
3.0 24v

Post by grasmere59 »

I was led to believe that the bolts with the chamfer were so they would work with the steel spare wheel on the D9's,might be wrong. :?
2011 "11" Mondeo TXS est 200ps in Grey
2003 "53" 110 hdi Executive Estate in Diablo Red
2001 "51" BMW 530i sport in Black
2012 "62" Yamaha XT1200
1974 "M" Honda CB500/4
1994 "M" Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
1998 "S" Honda XRV 750