Rounded off rear calliper bolt

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

jason1987
3.0 24v

Rounded off rear calliper bolt

Post by jason1987 »

Went to change my rear pads today and somehow the rear calliper bolt is now rounded off, what size bolt is it? I was using a Torx bit, is the correct? I did the other calliper fine last weekend but this caliper I can't get the bottom pin off and now I've found out I've rounded the top caliper bolt. Also the caliper moves slightly when I push it as I think I undid the bolt a bit before I couldn't move it anymore. Is this going to be dangerous?
jasper5
3.0 24v

Re: Rounded off rear calliper bolt

Post by jasper5 »

jason1987 wrote:Went to change my rear pads today and somehow the rear calliper bolt is now rounded off, what size bolt is it? I was using a Torx bit, is the correct? I did the other calliper fine last weekend but this caliper I can't get the bottom pin off and now I've found out I've rounded the top caliper bolt. Also the caliper moves slightly when I push it as I think I undid the bolt a bit before I couldn't move it anymore. Is this going to be dangerous?

The top bolt has a 6mm allen key size not a torx!

If you removed the pads then the caliper would move.

Follow this video.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgOw5SFb6J0
jason1987
3.0 24v

Post by jason1987 »

I'm having trouble getting the bottom pin out though, been wacking it with a centre punch but it won't move, but if I got the pads out I still wouldn't be able to get the rounded Allen key bolt out would I?
6speedmanual
1.8 16v

Post by 6speedmanual »

To change pads on Rear don't need to remove the top and bottom slider bolts.
If the fitting kit pins are seized in they can be drilled out and new ones fitted.
Your rounded off top slider bolt will be a problem if you need to change disc.
8Jb9
2.0 16v

Post by 8Jb9 »

Rear discs can be replaced without much effort even without removing the caliper - I've had them off a bunch of times. Basically the disc is tilted into the caliper and rotated out.

Seized caliper bolts is an issue for when (!) the caliper seizes on the sliding pins, so if the bolt is rounded off make sure you're aggressive on lubricating the sliders with silicone grease.