Has anyone found a way to improve the handbrake?

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Re: Has anyone found a way to improve the handbrake?

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

PeterN wrote:I have heard others say that they work OK but they seem to be in the minority, even my MOT man says they are all useless so there must be something different about yours, if I knew what it was perhaps I could cure mine.

I wonder if its the type of brake lining material, what shoes do you use on yours? Has anyone else found that a particular make of shoes works better than others?

If I adjusted mine every week they would probably be OK.

Peter
Pagid discs, pads & shoes. In my experience the best out there for oe brakes, hope that is of some help.
Just one point to check make sure that all three cables are free & all the adjusters are free moving (my lefthand cable was seized solid).
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Thanks, I will look into that. All the cables are new, as were the drum/disc and pads and the adjusters work fine, I have had the whole lot to pieces. The full length cable they broke at the last MOT!

Peter
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Peter,
If your still unhappy with it by next easter, if you have got somewhere that I can put up our caravan for a long
weekend with electric & fresh water then I'm sure the wife & boys would like a weekend away whilst I help you sort out
your handbrake :D.

All the best Paul, aka DDD.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

dirtydirtydiesel wrote:
PeterN wrote:I have heard others say that they work OK but they seem to be in the minority, even my MOT man says they are all useless so there must be something different about yours, if I knew what it was perhaps I could cure mine.

I wonder if its the type of brake lining material, what shoes do you use on yours? Has anyone else found that a particular make of shoes works better than others?

If I adjusted mine every week they would probably be OK.

Peter
Pagid discs, pads & shoes. In my experience the best out there for oe brakes, hope that is of some help.
Just one point to check make sure that all three cables are free & all the adjusters are free moving (my lefthand cable was seized solid).

I have already mentioned the cables and adjusters.
I use Mintex which are the same as Pagid...they are made by TMD Friction.

I will repeat...unscrew the adjusters on the cable inside the car and underneath on the main adjuster then click up the adjusters in the drums until they lock up then back off one notch at a time until the drum/disc turns with resistance. Now adjust the cable under the car until it locks the handbrake on and release it until the drums turn with resistance as before....lastly, take up free play at the handbrake lever via the adjuster located there.
A properly adjusted handbrake will pull up 4 or 5 notches and be locked solid.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I adjusted them up as per the manual when I fitted the new front to back cable last year, worked OK for a couple of days then back to normal.

Paul. We have a large field but no water or electricity close at hand I'm afraid. Might have another car by then - with another useless handbrake I expect.:wink:

Peter
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

PeterN wrote:I adjusted them up as per the manual when I fitted the new front to back cable last year, worked OK for a couple of days then back to normal.

Peter
Does the manual give the same method of adjustment as I indicated?
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

er.. can't remember, but I have tried the conventional way of making sure the levers are fully against the stops when the brake is released and about 4 clicks to apply it. I think I might try some different shoes.

Peter