Backplates

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

ridgie74
1.6 8v

Re: Backplates

Post by ridgie74 »

forgive my ignorance, but pictures of some new back plates don't show the calliper mounts... is it easy to remove and reuse these from the old plates?
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I think ( but I'm not 100% sure ) that the ones without the caliper mounts are for rear drums only, not suitable for rear disc/drum set up.....
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
ridgie74
1.6 8v

Post by ridgie74 »

servicebox for my car (hdi 90) shows the backplates with no caliper mounts, and it has rear discs. strange.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Okay - there must be a way to get the mounts off then, but when I did mine a few years back I didn't see any bolts or anything?

Edit; Service box also shows mine without the caliper mounts..... :wink:
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

They're supposed to be part of the backplate. That could be tricky :? These Kolkkerholm backplates have the cut out for the calliper but there's no mention of calliper mounts :frown:

Looking at pictures of the backplate it looks like they're are only 2 (real) rivets holding them together - I wonder if there's enough clearance to use a nut and bolt :supafrisk: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20047&hilit=backplates#p201249

Or maybe they0d be ok if everything's lined up straight as the bolts pass through both.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

I think it's either/or there Steve.

You can grind off the rivets on the old backplates and fit the old caliper mounts to the new backplates using bolts or fit them without using bolts in the rivet holes...there is plenty of clearance for bolts to be fitted through the backplate.
ridgie74
1.6 8v

Post by ridgie74 »

spoke to carz2.co.uk and they confirm the backplates don't have the calliper plates. I took a deep breath and just ordered new ones from Peugeot. feeling strangely elated and a bit depressed at the same time...
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

So it turns out they're not much of a bargain at all :frown: In fact they turn out to be way too expensive, considering half of them is missing.

A mixture between a weight off of your mind and the realisation that you've been wallet-raped at the dealer's again. I know the feeling :(

jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

ridgie74 wrote:spoke to carz2.co.uk and they confirm the backplates don't have the calliper plates. I took a deep breath and just ordered new ones from Peugeot. feeling strangely elated and a bit depressed at the same time...

You can easily swap over the caliper brackets from the old ones and fit them to the new backplates!
SwedishLinus
1.6 8v

Post by SwedishLinus »

jasper5 wrote:
ridgie74 wrote:spoke to carz2.co.uk and they confirm the backplates don't have the calliper plates. I took a deep breath and just ordered new ones from Peugeot. feeling strangely elated and a bit depressed at the same time...

You can easily swap over the caliper brackets from the old ones and fit them to the new backplates!
How easy is this Jasper? My handbrake got stuck because that the spring/bolt that holds the break shoes in place didn´t kept its place in the brake shield. So could i buy the Klokkerholm splash shields and use my old mount?
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

SwedishLinus wrote:
jasper5 wrote:

How easy is this Jasper? My handbrake got stuck because that the spring/bolt that holds the break shoes in place didn´t kept its place in the brake shield. So could i buy the Klokkerholm splash shields and use my old mount?

If you read my earlier post I explain how easy it is.

In this link the photos of the new backplate shows only 2 rivets holding the caliper brackets to the backplate...you can easily grind the rivets off or drill them out. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20047&hilit=backplates#p201249
You can then use 2 nuts and bolts or even just bolt the backplates on without using 2 nuts and bolts...just use the backplate mounting bolts.
SwedishLinus
1.6 8v

Post by SwedishLinus »

If i were to use the old caliper mounts, where can i get the backplates as cheap as possible? The cheapest ones i have found in Sweden are about 60 pounds each, and thats without the mounts!
grasmere59
3.0 24v

Post by grasmere59 »

I think thats the best price your going to get for 406 backplates.
2011 "11" Mondeo TXS est 200ps in Grey
2003 "53" 110 hdi Executive Estate in Diablo Red
2001 "51" BMW 530i sport in Black
2012 "62" Yamaha XT1200
1974 "M" Honda CB500/4
1994 "M" Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
1998 "S" Honda XRV 750
SwedishLinus
1.6 8v

Post by SwedishLinus »

So they arent cheaper somewhere in the UK?
steve_earwig

Post by steve_earwig »

Only second-hand (there's been a lot of overpriced rubbish on ebay lately :frown: )

Mind you there's always Ade1122 over on the coupe club who mostly breaks coupes, I think he charges about 25 pounds and doesn't sell rubbish. He has the same user name on ebay but I don't know how to find that.