driveshafts Peugeot 406hdi 2003 rapier

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

charliedog
1.8 8v

driveshafts Peugeot 406hdi 2003 rapier

Post by charliedog »

I am in the process of replacing OS cv boot. I have removed the cv joint and am now ready to replace the boot and fit the joint to the shaft. My problem is, do I need a new snap clip? (if so where can I get it from and approx. how much - suspect only Peugeot stealers - :|

If I am able to use the one I took off, is there a special way to put the joint back on?

On a different subject, does anyone know where I can get a metal lower ball joint protector or has a photograph of the said item.

I have done this type of work before but not on a Peugeot so any help advice will be greatly appreciated. :?
jasper5
3.0 24v

Re: driveshafts Peugeot 406hdi 2003 rapier

Post by jasper5 »

Yes, you can use the old clip.
Make sure you fit the new boot on first...yes, I've fitted a few CV joints and forgotten :oops:

Squash the clip to make it more round by pressing in the open ends of the clip with mole grips then slide the clip back onto the driveshaft...this will make it easier to fit the CV joint back on...if required you can press in the open ends of the clip in as you push the CV joint back on, but squashing the clip will be fine.
If you don't have a plastic or copper hammer then screw the big nut back onto the shaft so you don't damage the CV joint threads when you knock the CV joint back on.

There is a photo of the ball joint protector in here.....viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20950
It isn't vital to have it fitted.
charliedog
1.8 8v

Re: driveshafts Peugeot 406hdi 2003 rapier

Post by charliedog »

thank you jasper, very helpful