How to remove rear lower arm bush?

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

8Jb9
2.0 16v

How to remove rear lower arm bush?

Post by 8Jb9 »

Anyone successfully replaced the lower arm bush? The backing plate won't fit on the press, but I can perhaps do it with a vise. I'm just a bit worried with how much "stuff" I need to remove to get to it. Can I for example get to it without compressing the spring?

I'm mainly interested in part #7, but if anyone has done #17 I'm also interested in that one.
ally406
2.0 Turbo

Re: How to remove rear lower arm bush?

Post by ally406 »

For part 7, there is a special tool available from Sealey I think to do it in situ. I removed the hub assembly from the car and managed to cut through it with a hack saw and hammer it out, however I would recommend just handing the hub over to a garage who would remove and refit it with their press for a few beer tokens. You don't need a spring compressor, a jack under the arm will suffice. Brake pipes will likely cause you a headache so be prepared to make some replacement ones.

I had the lower arm off mine and had a look at part 17 on my car when it was at 210k, it was like new so didn't bother replacing it. I don't think they are a common wear item.
'97 Peugeot 406 1.9 TD, 316k, down for full rebuild with custom rods, TD04 and a stack of welding.
'95 Peugeot 405 1.6 GLX with XU10J4RS conversion @ 195bhp.
'05 RenaultSport Clio 182 Cup, 111k.