lower suspension joint - nut 21mm

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

charliedog
1.8 8v

lower suspension joint - nut 21mm

Post by charliedog »

Have tried everything bar cutting it off with an angle grinder. If anyone knows how to get this nut off 21mm I would be delighted to know how. The allen key socket in the bottom of the shank of the joint has worn round, the joint goes round and round, it appears the nut is rusted to the shank..........?????? :( fed up, I have spent days and all sorts of methods to release this nut :!:
Any help would be appreciated
Stenasev
1.8 16v

Re: lower suspension joint - nut 21mm

Post by Stenasev »

Is this the ball joint nut you are talking about?

If you are having problems then probably easiest to cut it off and fit a new ball joint.

Cheap and 'fairly' easy.
2003 406 2.2HDi SE Estate Manual - Sold
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Soak the nut in WD40 and fit an axle stand or blocks of wood under the bottom suspension arm and drop the car onto the axle stand...the pressure will stop the ball joint turning.
Another way is to use a scissors jack under the bottom arm to put pressure on it to stop it spinning.
charliedog
1.8 8v

Post by charliedog »

Thank you for your comments, I have tried all other than cut if off. I do not have a grinding tool or know the size of the disks required,

I have not done this before, is it difficult or dangerous.?

Is there any special clothing I have to get?

any help would be appreciated

Thank you again :(
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

charliedog wrote:Thank you for your comments, I have tried all other than cut if off. I do not have a grinding tool or know the size of the disks required,

I have not done this before, is it difficult or dangerous.?

Is there any special clothing I have to get?

any help would be appreciated

Thank you again :(

If you haven't got an angle grinder then you can cut the nut off using a hacksaw.

If you managed to get the nut moved a little way down the thread then put you axle stand under the bottom arm to push the thread through the hole and cut through the thread.
If you didn't get it to move down the thread then cut down the nut and take a slice out of it big enough to knock the rest of the nut off with a hammer and punch.
These are my tried and tested ways of removing seized nuts when fitting an axle stand under the bottom arm fails to allow you to undo the nut....when an angle grinder isn't available.