Strange brake/ABS faults

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

min
1.8 8v

Strange brake/ABS faults

Post by min »

As I got used to since I became a 2.2HDI happy owner, my car 'challanges' my technical skills from time to time just for my brain and hands not to get laisy from lack of troubleshooting and fiddling :))

My latest 2001 semi-mux 2.2HDI Saloon bought in January with 240.000 on the clock had since the very first PP2000 diag an error: "ABS or ESP ECU: Intermittent fault. Control Unit" . Except for the PP2000 error which I deleted and reoccured only one more time since then, it also happened for a few times that the ABS activated by itself while the car is stopping at light braking - it happened only when the car was almost stopped (less than 10mph) but no other issues in rest.
Meanwhile 8000km passed and yesterday at a higher speed corner it suddenly triggered on the MFD "Brake Fault/ABS fault". I tried a diag and now comes the funny part with PP2000: global test says "ABS or ESP ECU - presence of faults" but when you go to read the ABS/ESP faults menu it says 'no error'?!?!?! I deleted the error, at another corner triggered the error on MFD again but PP2000 finds no error.

Forgot to mention that overall the brake performance is good (perhaps just a little too much pedal 'free play' but braking works good).

I suspect there are several issues here:

1) ABS ECU might have an issue since in the past PP2000 said "ABS or ESP ECU: Intermittent fault. Control Unit" . Now the fact that global test says presence of faults for ABS but fault reading finds no faults makes me think there is a problem with ABS ECU... I have a spare ABS module from my crashed semi-mux 2001 2.2HDI saloon - can the ECU be easily separated from the module and replaced as a separate part (in order to avoid all the hassle with bleededing during full ABS module replacement etc)?

2) for the ABS activation at very low speed without any reason I understood the rings could be the problem - the front ones look good - for the rear ones inspection I suspect the discs and rollbearing removal is needed, right?

3) I will try also sensors replacement with the ones from the crashed car - the rear ones can be changed without removing the disc/rollbearings?

I remember at some point GingerMagic mentioning that "if the ABS fault comes up before you drive anywhere this points to a sensor, but if you start to drive and then you get the fault message this may point to a reluctor ring..??"

Any other suggestion is welcome...
2001 - Satellite Grey - 2.2L HDi - SE
Saloon without FAP/Airdossers/EGR/Swirl, IQ93, 6 speed gearbox, Setrab oil cooler
min
1.8 8v

Re: Strange brake/ABS faults

Post by min »

Found in the weekend the left front aluminium ABS ring cracked; I cleaned the surface very well and bond it with a special metal glue (similar to the one used successfully in the past for my crashed 406). Everything seems ok so far...
2001 - Satellite Grey - 2.2L HDi - SE
Saloon without FAP/Airdossers/EGR/Swirl, IQ93, 6 speed gearbox, Setrab oil cooler