Brake dust

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

D9406
2.2 16v

Brake dust

Post by D9406 »

Hi, I haven't been around the forum much since January 14 because my wife was taken ill suddenly and unexpectedly. What has that got to do with brake dust I hear you say? Well she died of Pericardial Mesothelioma, very rare form of mesothelioma, Google it.
You can only get mesothelioma, it is cancer, from exposure to asbestos. Now, she worked for the government and never worked with the stuff, neither did I, and she never changed brake pads, left it to me. We had been together 35 years and I know she never touched the stuff. Her employer demolished some 1940's buildings and during the demolition process her car was always dusty at the end of the day and driving home she breathed in minute amounts of dust and thus was exposed to the asbestos.
This was 25 years ago, no symptoms until January last year, emergency surgery to remove one and a half litres of fluid from around the heart, it had severely hampered its ability to work. Diagnosed August, dead March 15, aged 48, leaves three boys.
So be careful. If it can happen to someone who worked in an office, it could happen to you when you blow that dust away when changing pads or shoes.
She hated my 406 preferring her kawasaki gpz900r.

I'm changing my front discs and pads this weekend.
1999 406 HDi 2.0 110 GTX Estate. 48k when bought, now 150K. Second owner, I've covered over 100k in it.
Clutch changed @110k, bottom pulley changed, cam belt changed, EGR blanked, cat removed, front springs changed.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: Brake dust

Post by Welly »

I am extremely sorry to hear this, I can't even begin to imagine what you've all been through and that is such a sad story to tell. It must have taken a lot for you to post this so thank you and I sincerely hope you and your families future continues to recover in the memory of your special Wife.

Kind regards,

Welly
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Sorry to hear of your loss. We have lost two good friends to mesothelioma, one was my wife's uncle who for many years worked on Shell tankers, he no doubt got it from the pipe insulation probably in the boiler rooms, we also lost another friend who had spent sometime painting in hospitals, again pipe insulation was believed to be the cause. They were both younger than me.

Its strange how some people seem to be more susceptible, I have done all my own car maintenance since the '50s when brake and clutch linings contained quite high proportions of asbestos so I must have inhaled a fair amount since that time. There was a lot of it about in those days in fact houses were built of it, the famous 'temporary prefabs' built after the war, a few of which still exist. In my work I regularly came across asbestos, we didn't realise the dangers then of course. Blue asbestos seems to be the most dangerous although at my wife's uncles inquest we heard of farmers getting it that had only been in contact with tractor brakes/clutches.

Certainly a risk that we don't want to expose ourselves to if possible.

Peter
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Really sorry to hear of your loss, I can't imagine what you're going through.

Be aware asbestos can also be found in the home. Artex often contained large amounts of it, for example.
You don't have to be exposed in the workplace or by dealing with old brake/clutch linings or gaskets to be at risk.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I can only echo what the others have said.

My Father-in-Law died of mesothelioma about 3 years ago. He worked underground in London for BT for many years, and he retired and moved 'daan saaf' about 28 years ago. He first had a tingling sensation in his right arm which wouldn't go away, we told him to man-up. He then got chest pains which was given the all clear from the heart people, but the fizzy arm soon became useless. A biopsy was taken from the lung, again all clear but as it turns out the fibres from the asbestos went through the lung and settled in the lung lining, which started to press on the nerves affecting his arm.

I learned that if the asbestos fibres are 'hooked' then they get caught in the lung causing Asbestosis, if the fibres are straight then they go through the lung into the lining causing Mesothelioma.

Its a familiar story, but he was finally diagnosed in March, died in April 3 weeks later, aged 77.

Its a terrible loss for you and the family, and sadly to a disease that is normally found when its too late, I am sure there will be lots of help for you and your boys when you need it. Please take one day at a time, and be patient as this will be a traumatic time for your boys too, who may not understand why Mummy isn't around anymore. :(

Kelv.

P.s. my Father-in-Law quite liked Peugeots.......
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Our sincere condolences. That is a tragically young age to go and obviously must be a terrible shock for you and your kids.

I've worked underground for BT, I've been in plenty of places with asbestos warning stickers everywhere (and presumably some that didn't have the stickers). According to my BT record I've been officially exposed to asbestos, I can't remember when that happened though as, according to the record, it was when I was 12. Umm, yeah.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly

Post by Welly »

I started working in HVAC services in 1987 and although asbestos was not used on new installs I've been in lots of Boiler Houses and Plantrooms with azzy on the pipes. I used to also be one of the 'first in' after asbestos had been stripped from Boiler Houses so I could do a survey; was always an eerie experience :supafrisk:

The asbestos fibre filaments break lengthways so become small enough to enter through the lungs and elsewhere whereas man made fibres made from glass or rock wools only break across the filament maintaining the same diameter and being too large to do any real harm. Back in the day there was no knowledge of the damaging effects of asbestos as there was no existing proof, such a shame.
Cars in my care:
D9406
2.2 16v

Post by D9406 »

Thank you to everyone who commented on my post. What made my wife's mesothelioma so unusual was the fact that her lungs were unaffected, no breathing issues and no pain at any time. The tumor had encased the heart and was restricting it's movement. At post mortem it was found that the lungs and stomach linings were clear but it had attached itself to the heart and the main vessels from the heart. I have been told that there is less than 200 documented cases of pericardial mesothelioma. She was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The Solicitors will make sure my boys are well catered for. It was a government department responsible for her death.
Ironic really considering that H&S regs and advice are supposed to be their business.
1999 406 HDi 2.0 110 GTX Estate. 48k when bought, now 150K. Second owner, I've covered over 100k in it.
Clutch changed @110k, bottom pulley changed, cam belt changed, EGR blanked, cat removed, front springs changed.
Captain Jack
3.0 24v

Post by Captain Jack »

Please accept my condolences as well. It's a terrible thing to go through.

What seems to be a recurring theme in this thread is that it all seems to be diagnosed too late, even though the symptoms are present at the time of investigation. I have a niggling feeling that many lives could have been saved had the doctors seen this earlier.
2003 - 2008: 1998 Peugeot 406 2.1 TD 110bhp LX Saloon
2008 - 2009: 2004 Honda Accord 2.2 CDTI 136bhp Executive Saloon
2009 - 2013: 2002 Peugeot 406 2.0 HDI 110bhp Executive Saloon
2013 - 2021: 2007 Peugeot 407 2.2 HDI 170bhp Executive Saloon (mapped to 213bhp :twisted:)
2021 - ????: 2016 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi 180bhp Titanium
Welly

Post by Welly »

D9406 - Has there been other Asbestos cases linked to the demolition of those buildings? back then a lack of reporting/recording was common; I mean who would report their car being dusty etc. it seems and I'm hoping you have a clear enough case for a claim to be made and rightly so.
Cars in my care:
D9406
2.2 16v

Post by D9406 »

To Captain Jack, mesothelioma is always fatal no matter when it is diagnosed. It can stay dormant for up to 50 years.
Hi Welly, Solicitors have been working with hospital and now coroner since September last year. Waiting for inquest verdict, due end of this summer. We have a good QC, very experienced both in this country and America at dealing with asbestos claims, only have to prove balance of probability to win. Being on site with a mesothelioma cause of death is enough, solicitors confident of a win but it doesn't change anything, but it will make boys life easier. She may just be the first, others may have it and not be showing symptoms yet.
Last edited by D9406 on Tue May 12, 2015 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welly

Post by Welly »

Good luck with the rest of the case etc, that can't be easy either being a continuous reminder of what's happened. Hopefully any form of financial assistance you may gain will take the pressure off long term, all the best.
Cars in my care: