Estate Rear Tyres Uneven Wear

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

iantek

Estate Rear Tyres Uneven Wear

Post by iantek »

Good morning! Our 406 estate has uneven tyre wear on the rear tyres on the outer edge. Having searched around here and on the Internet and having had a look at the condition of things with the wheels off, I've bought some drop links and will probably have to get a four wheel alignment done. I'm fairly inexperienced with the spanners (have done an engine service and a few odd jobs on the interior) and any suggestions of angle grinding things is a none starter! My round about question is how easy is it to do the drop links and what tools can anyone recommend? I've watched the Farmerpug video on YouTube which was most helpful but the rear drop link bottom nut is very restricted for space and I'm not sure I'll be able to get it off.

Also my wife reported some wayward handling from the rear of the car in the snow yesterday which is likely to be related to the above. Our local garage said the rear suspension is in poor condition but I'm wary of just handing them the keys and saying "make rear suspension better". The springs look reasonable and a visual inspection of the shocks looks ok, but the condition of rubber bushes appears not so good. Other than the drop links, if you were refreshing the rear suspension, where would you start? Safety being the primary concern.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: Estate Rear Tyres Uneven Wear

Post by PeterN »

When you replace the links on the rear suspension you have to remove the bolts that adjust the rear tracking, not being familiar with this suspension due to running Citroen hydropnumatics for about the last 30 years, I didn't know this and was getting severe tyre wear after I had changed them, I thought they were to adjust the camber but I was wrong! Having discovered what they were for I readjusted the tracking and the wear has been even ever since.

I don't really know how the suspension is in poor condition as it only basically consists of two links with ball joint at each end and these are fairly cheap and easily replaced, the tracking has to be realigned when its reassembled which shouldn't be that expensive. I would get the garage to give you a list of parts needing replacement before you let them have it.

Peter
Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

Post by Rolebama »

I changed the front drop links recently, and I found that cleaning the exposed thread with a wire brush and WD40, then running a nut along the thread to make sure it was clean helped in getting the old nut off. FWIW I also found that a T40 was a better fit in the end of the shaft than the 5mm Allen key.
1998 2.1 GLX TD
iantek

Post by iantek »

Thanks for the advice PeterN and Rolbama. Does changing the drop links on the rear change the tracking? They look to just bolt on and off?
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

There are two links on each side, one does and one doesn't I think. The bolt that secures one of them also adjust the tracking. there is an eccentric washer under the head of the bolt, if you carefully mark its position relative to what its bolted on to you may be able to preserve the setting, but I checked mine anyway.

I have a length of threaded rod slid into a metal tube, there are a couple of nuts on the rod which can be used to adjust the overall length, if you put it between the front of the tyres and adjust the length until it just touches, then move it to the same position on the back of the tyres, it will either be tight or loose depending on the adjustment, you adjust the track until the wheels are more or less parallel, there probably should be a slight toe in or out which you can adjust but parellel is normally near enough.

I have used this method of adjustment on all my cars for about the last 40 years and it works a treat, never had problems with uneven tyre wear.

Peter
Puggy2
2.0 16v

Post by Puggy2 »

The antiroll bar vertical links have no affect on the tracking, the top tie bars adjust the camber the wheels vertical angle hence the tyre wear the way I check it is to get a spirit level and a piece of wood and check the wheels vertical angle close to vertical is ideal the if it is out either way you adjust the eccentric bolt on the inner end of the tie bar. Be warned these can bet very tight nuts I have had to cut the bolts and get new bolts & nuts from Peugeot Regards Iain 25 years in the Motor Trade