broken spring

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

john170277
2.0 Turbo

broken spring

Post by john170277 »

took the little one to school and as I pulled out of parking space I heard a loud twang then again every time I turned.
so I took car to local garage where I was told that a spring had snapped they charged me £80 to replace.
the thing is I am still getting an occasional twang so I took it back to the garage they took it out for a drive and told me it was the spring bedding in. are they feeding me bullshit or do the springs take time to bed in

car is a mondeo mk3 tdci
jasper5
3.0 24v

Re: broken spring

Post by jasper5 »

john170277 wrote:took the little one to school and as I pulled out of parking space I heard a loud twang then again every time I turned.
so I took car to local garage where I was told that a spring had snapped they charged me £80 to replace.
the thing is I am still getting an occasional twang so I took it back to the garage they took it out for a drive and told me it was the spring bedding in. are they feeding me bullshit or do the springs take time to bed in

car is a mondeo mk3 tdci

Springs don't need to bed in.
I would say there is a possible problem, maybe the top bearing, wrong spring or spring fitted wrongly.
Maybe the other side is broken as well?
Puggy2
2.0 16v

Post by Puggy2 »

Was the spring not seated right in the cups?
john170277
2.0 Turbo

Post by john170277 »

the twanging noise has now gone so I am assuming everything fine
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

Simplest way to check the top bearing is to get someone to slowly turn the steering lock to lock. The spring should turn nice and smoothly, if it seems to be sticking then the top bearing needs looking at.
Some suspension noises will come and go depending on the weather, mine is quite smooth and quiet in the wet but grumbles on drier days.
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE