[solved] Power steering shudder, especially at low speed

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

8Jb9
2.0 16v

[solved] Power steering shudder, especially at low speed

Post by 8Jb9 »

I have just recently started to get quite a lot of vibration and noise when turning. More vibration is felt when the load is high (slow speed, large movements, e.g. parking lots). It might get worse when the fluid becomes warm: I didn't really feel it rolling out of the garage this morning, but it was definitely there when parking at work.

Anyone experienced something similar? How to nail the culprit?

D9 V6, 190hp. LHD. Variable assist steering.
Last edited by 8Jb9 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: Power steering shudder, especially at low speed

Post by Welly »

If the power steering action is not smooth then this can point to worn top mount bearings on the suspension struts. The front suspension 'leg' cannot turn freely and sort of 'sticks' giving a resistance to the steering.

It would be worth getting the front wheels off the ground and turning the steering (grab the road wheel) and listen/watch for problems.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
8Jb9
2.0 16v

Post by 8Jb9 »

I did this two weeks ago, and it does judder a small bit (less than a cm of the circumference I'd say at the top mount bearing) when rotating lock to lock. I'll try again with the wheels on the ground to see if the power steering judder correlates with the strut bearing.
8Jb9
2.0 16v

Post by 8Jb9 »

It might not be the top bearing. First, they didn't seem to stick quite that much to begin with. But second: It is sort of intermittent. I.e. when the car is cold (3-4*C) there was very little after start-up. Maybe a very slight hint of vibration, but no associated shuddering-noise. When the water started to be warm (but not the oil yet) I started to feel it a lot again. Perhaps more at the left 90*C position than similar towards the right. Standing still after the drive home I noticed it when turning the wheel back and forth, but when I increased revs to 1500 it was fairly smooth. The V6 has rpm-independent assist. I don't really notice it during reversing, it seems.

Fluid is near the max. Over the course of many months there is some fluid loss from the top crimped fitting of the HP hose on the LHS of the engine (pointing down). I've only added a few tens of mL on a single occasion.

Other potential culprits?
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Maybe the drive belt is slipping?
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I was just about to say the same as Welly.

Peter
8Jb9
2.0 16v

Post by 8Jb9 »

Thanks, guys.

Most likely culprit is air in the system. I increased the fluid level (from 80% to ~105%) and the problem seems to have gone away for now. I'll have the high pressure hose rebuilt by a hydraulics company to get rid of the fitting which is sweating fluid.

The belt was replaced 3 years ago, and I didn't really see any correlation between the noise and the aircon pump noise or battery voltage (i.e. light intensity - it's dark here up north).