Any Peugeot mechanics on here?

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

Davie206
1.8 8v

Any Peugeot mechanics on here?

Post by Davie206 »

Im trying to find out if there are different variations of driveshafts for the 206 2.0 hdi 90. Since I have owned it the wheel bearing has had play in it and have replaced wheel bearing twice but still it has the same amount of play as soon as it's driven. The only thing that has not been replaced under there since I have owned the car is the driveshaft and Im thinking there might be 2 variations of splined ends.
D4B
2.0 16v

Re: Any Peugeot mechanics on here?

Post by D4B »

Can't answer your question but might be worth looking here, your car appears on page 366,

and there is technical info near the beginning of the catalogue....

http://www.gknservice.com/fileadmin/use ... SPIDAN.pdf
My other Peugeot was a D4B
Davie206
1.8 8v

Post by Davie206 »

Thanks for your reply. What else could cause a wheel bearing to have lots of play in it even after only 5 mins of driving? Hub nut has been torqued to 320nm which is correct torque for this nut so can rule loose hub nut out.
Bad alignment surely wouldnt cause it to fail this fast.
Hub has been replaced with a brand new one last year and bearing failed quite quick in that too and has been replaced twice recently
markw
2.0 Turbo

Post by markw »

Are you saying the wheel bearing itself has play in it or that the male splines on the end of the shaft are a poor fit inside the female splines of the hub?
2001 ES9J4S Coupe Manual Diablo
Davie206
1.8 8v

Post by Davie206 »

The splined shaft fits in to the hub fine and once hub nut is torqued everything feels tight but after driving car for 5 mins I jack the car up and there is lots of play in the wheel bearing
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

silly question but is it 100% the bearing and not the entire hub moving around?
If the movement is in the 6 - 3 position it could be loose bushes etc on the wishbone or ball joints allowing the hub to move in that direction. I could be completely wrong but 12 - 6 movement would be a better indication and you'd probably hear it at low speeds when you take the load off that corner allowing the bearing to 'wobble' for want of a better word.

Ignore me if I'm talking crap the other half always does :lol:
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
D4B
2.0 16v

Post by D4B »

gumby6371 wrote:silly question but is it 100% the bearing and not the entire hub moving around?
If the movement is in the 6 - 3 position it could be loose bushes etc on the wishbone or ball joints allowing the hub to move in that direction. I could be completely wrong but 12 - 6 movement would be a better indication and you'd probably hear it at low speeds when you take the load off that corner allowing the bearing to 'wobble' for want of a better word.

Ignore me if I'm talking crap the other half always does :lol:
Could be on to something there gumby...... :idea:
My other Peugeot was a D4B
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Davie206 wrote:Im trying to find out if there are different variations of driveshafts for the 206 2.0 hdi 90. Since I have owned it the wheel bearing has had play in it and have replaced wheel bearing twice but still it has the same amount of play as soon as it's driven. The only thing that has not been replaced under there since I have owned the car is the driveshaft and Im thinking there might be 2 variations of splined ends.
There are different types of driveshaft.

If it was the splines you wouldn't be able to tell as the nut would hold the splines tight.

There could be play in the actual cv joint bearings.

To check for play in a wheel bearing get someone to press the brake and check for movement, movement usually means the play is elsewhere....play that disappears with the brake pressed is wheel bearing play.
Davie206
1.8 8v

Post by Davie206 »

The play was in the hub bearing assembly, cured it with a couple of custom made steel washers which sit behind the inner race to cv joint.

Found this article and thought it was worth a try [emoji106]

http://www.bargainspares.com/peugeot-40 ... play-saga/
Davie206
1.8 8v

Post by Davie206 »

This is the first time in 2 years since owning the car that I have had a tight hub assembly on that axle lol garages had no clue what was causing the bearibgs to fail do fast and even a brand new knuckle turned out to be a waste of money. The only conclusion I have is that maybe 1mm or so has gradually worn away at the part of the cv joint that is pressed against the inner race of the bearing
Davie206
1.8 8v

Post by Davie206 »

Davie206 wrote:The play was in the hub bearing assembly, cured it with a couple of custom made steel washers which sit behind the inner race to cv joint.

Found this article and thought it was worth a try [emoji106]

http://www.bargainspares.com/peugeot-40 ... play-saga/
Davie206 wrote:This is the first time in 2 years since owning the car that I have had a tight hub assembly on that axle lol garages had no clue what was causing the bearings to fail so fast and even a brand new knuckle turned out to be a waste of money. The only conclusion I have is that maybe 1mm or so has gradually worn away at the part of the cv joint that is pressed against the inner race of the bearing