Rear ARB bushes

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

keppler
1.8 16v

Rear ARB bushes

Post by keppler »

Hi guys long time since I had to visit the forum as the old girl has been doing grand. Lately its been making plenty of knocking noises from the rear so after a little look ive found that the drop links arent in great nik and also the arb bushes look to be in a poor state. it looks to be a fairly simple job to replace the arb bushes only I cant see one of the bolts on the drivers side as its blocked by the fuel filler duct. Ive searched other threads and everyone is just saying to move the duct out of the way but nobody gives instructions on how to free the duct. Has anybody here done this job before and have any advice for me on getting access to the hidden bolt?
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Re: Rear ARB bushes

Post by Welly »

Yes I think that it the only way, to disconnect and lower the filler neck. It has been spoken about before but I'm not sure if there's any how-to's as such.......anyone??
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
keppler
1.8 16v

Post by keppler »

started tackling this job today and what a pain in the arse it truly is :x getting the fuel duct out of the way is easy enough, just undo the metal clip holding it to the fuel tank and pull the duct to separate it from the tank. then just undo the plastic clips the hold the two smaller fuel pipes to the main duct and hey presto access is granted. Problem is the fracking bolt and nut holding the bush on. The nut came off without much hassle but the bolt started to come out easily and then just refused to budge either back in or out. Anyway the damn thing sheared off in the end up and to top it all off I couldnt replace the damn clip that holds the filler duct to the fuel tank (those damn annoying clips I dont know why peugeot use them everywhere) so after kicking some of my tools around the driveway I had to call a mechanic buddy who has the gear to extract the bolt.
I had a rreal bad feeling when I started this job especially when I looked at the rusty bolts and thought to myself this would be much safer to do with an impact wrench :roll:
does anyone know what the trick is to getting those steel clips attached?
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

keppler wrote:started tackling this job today and what a pain in the arse it truly is :x getting the fuel duct out of the way is easy enough, just undo the metal clip holding it to the fuel tank and pull the duct to separate it from the tank. then just undo the plastic clips the hold the two smaller fuel pipes to the main duct and hey presto access is granted. Problem is the fracking bolt and nut holding the bush on. The nut came off without much hassle but the bolt started to come out easily and then just refused to budge either back in or out. Anyway the damn thing sheared off in the end up and to top it all off I couldnt replace the damn clip that holds the filler duct to the fuel tank (those damn annoying clips I dont know why peugeot use them everywhere) so after kicking some of my tools around the driveway I had to call a mechanic buddy who has the gear to extract the bolt.
I had a rreal bad feeling when I started this job especially when I looked at the rusty bolts and thought to myself this would be much safer to do with an impact wrench :roll:
does anyone know what the trick is to getting those steel clips attached?
Yeah I have a pair of clip pliers but you can use nail pincers :cheesy:
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
keppler
1.8 16v

Post by keppler »

Cheers ddd, I just did a little research and found that they're called clic-r clips . It looks like a pair of tying wire knips would do the job nicely. I only had a short stubby pair and they just wouldn't work at all
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

I use the a pair of cheap wire strippers, look for something with a narrow tip and decent length handle.
Wire strippers work a treat on CV boot clips as well.
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
keppler
1.8 16v

Post by keppler »

cheers for the tip gumby,
Anyway took the car to my mate and he drilled the bolt out and we both set about doing the rest of the job. Gotta say having an impact wrench makes a world of difference. didn't even need to use any wd40, the gun just vibrates the nut loose :) The car now feels like it has a brand new suspension and glides over the bumps plus my mate manged to convince me to buy his old compressor from him so I'm now in the market for an impact wrench :lol:

Just in case anyone is wondering, the old bushes looked to be in ok condition (it has passed its last two NCT's without so much as a warning about them) however when they were removed it became clear that they were done for, dry, hard and brittle. The car is a 2000 reg and I think its safe to assume they were the original arb's from the factory.