Uneven tyre wear

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Uneven tyre wear

Post by FarmerPug »

The car is due its next mot at the end of october, but looking at the front tyres they have quite a bit of wear on the sides:

I put a set of 4 new tyres on the car on the 9th of august 2013 and the car had 126,450 miles, the wheels were aligned on the 19th of september last year with 128,130 miles at the time there was no wear on the sides. Now the car has 139,271 miles so not even 13,000 miles covered on the tyres and they are fecked.

At the moment there isn't any noticeable issues with the car pulling to the side, on my way to work which i stated in may there are them rectangular ramps that force the wheels out as in /\ if you drive straight over them but I've always tried to drive over the ramp with one side of the car.
I wonder what could be causing the wheels to wear out so fast.
lozz
3.0 24v

Re: Uneven tyre wear

Post by lozz »

Tracking is out perhaps'.
Or just bad luck with tyres.. some makes wear out quicker than others..
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

+1 :arrowu:
cheep tyres always ware out quicker :roll:
but it looks like your tracking is out or all your bushes ect are well worn allowing for the outer scrubing :x
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

There is other factors too..
Over/under inflation..

Taking corners too fast.. I'm not saying you do tho..

I rember when the taxi lads where running '6's afew of them mentioned they never got mega-miles out
Of the front tyres..
They are a big heavy lump tho..

There is a code on tyres somewhere.. date/year..
Aparantly the compound in the rubber makes a difference..with wear/age..
Not sure what that's about 'mind as I'm no tyre expert..
I'm just one of them that looks at the tyre tread/side wall's.. bin and replace if looks worn/iffy :roll:
Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

Post by Rolebama »

I would have your bushes checked, then have tracking checked.
1998 2.1 GLX TD
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Its not just the shoulder thats worn - the whole tyre looks worn across the tread.... :wink:

Were these budget tyres, or a named brand? Either way these are tyres to be avoided next time methinks...

Stick them on the back for now to get a bit extra from them, I guess the back ones are only half worn.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

They are not premium brand tyres, but they were still £50 a corner.

As for checking bushes, what are the ones to be checking, the wishbones have bushes which seems like the most obvious place to look, does the subframe bushes cause this sort of thing?
Rolebama
2.0 Turbo

Post by Rolebama »

Wishbone bushes are the most likely, and now I have seen one in action, I would recommend trying to find a garage with a 'jiggle' ramp to check them out.
1998 2.1 GLX TD
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

That tyre wear seems excessive, check all the suspension joints/bushes with a pry-bar checking for play. Also do the obvious quarter-past-nine and six o'clock pulling/pushing on the raised wheels looking for play, also check the inner and outer track rod ends.

Maybe also the dampers are worn?

It is true that you will get probably 50% more wear from 'better' brands. I always thought the Goodyear NCT5's suited the 406 well.
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

If the most wear is on the outside edges the wheels are towing in to much. There is some wonderful tracking gear available now bu unfortunately not all the operatives are as wonderful. I adjust mine using a length of metal tube with a threaded metal rod slid inside with nuts to adjust the length, I have been using this to track my cars up for 30-40 years and generally my tyres wear evenly.

Peter
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I get that click or low clonk sometimes when turning the car to the left, its never bothered me, but would it be a sign of worn inner tie rods?
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Don't want to state the bleeding obverse Frank,
But with the best part of 140 thou on the clock all original suspension parts will be way way past there best :roll:
I think it's a combination of a few things ie: Tyres not the best for lifespan, worn suspension components & tracking out.
(might not be at static, but altering under movement).
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

dirtydirtydiesel wrote:Don't want to state the bleeding obverse Frank,
But with the best part of 140 thou on the clock all original suspension parts will be way way past there best :roll:
I think it's a combination of a few things ie: Tyres not the best for lifespan, worn suspension components & tracking out.
(might not be at static, but altering under movement).
I'd go with this. You can have everything lined up but if all the bushes are tired and you have play in joints then as soon as you put any read load on them they are going to move.

My Mondeo is in the middle of having everything replaced as after 140k it's apparent things are getting tired. I've done the front Wishbones and droplinks. Next will be new rear trailing arm bushes as they are creaking.

Also it is utterly pointless taking a car for 'tracking'. All tracking does is make sure that in a straight line the front wheels light up with the rears. If they rears are out then you are never going to get the fronts set correctly. Also tracking will not find any issues with camber or castor. All tracking checks is toe.
I'd get the car in the air and give all the suspension a good look over. Visually and get a bar under the bushes to check for play. Replace whats required and find a Hunter four wheel alignment setup and get it all checked properly.
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
peugeot30v6
2.0 16v

Post by peugeot30v6 »

I had this problem last week and it caused a puncture in my front drives side tyre.
2002 Peugeot 406 V6 Auto Executive [95100miles]
2003 Peugeot 406 HDI 110 Executive Manual [157000miles]
2002 Volvo S60 2.0t Auto [287000miles]
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

I put the car up on the lift this evening, there doesn't seem to be anything worn, moving the wheels at the 12 and 6 positions didnt cause any movement, using a pry bar on the wishbones didnt produce any movement, even the front drop links and anti roll bar bushes are fine.

There is a clonk from the back like the rear drop links so ill change them to see what they do, i also seen a hole in the back box section of the exhaust, has anyone had any success in welding these?

As for the possible cause of the tyre wear, with the car up on the lift it was easier to see how the wheels have worn, each wheel is worn on the outside, my cousin joe noticed this, i havent checked the tyre pressures since the tyres were fitted (if they dont look flat they are ok is how i work with tyres), the tyres had 24 PSI of pressure in them which i suppose would cause this sort of wear.