Front ARB Bushes - help!!!

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

gumby6371
3.0 24v

Front ARB Bushes - help!!!

Post by gumby6371 »

I had a quick go at changing these last night and promptly gave up, access to the retaining nut on my 2.2 is ridiculous from the wheel arch side and stupid from underneath.

I forgot to take any pics last night so the more eagle eyed may recognise this from MJB's clutch change how-to;
25_subframe_side.jpg
(104.87 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Can someone confirm if the rearmost bolt of the cluster of 3 goes straight through to the ARB clamp and can be undone from underneath?

Trying to judge by touch the nut didn't seem to line up with the subframe bolt but I only had the car on a stand not the ramps and couldn't see/line things up properly.

Hopefully that makes sense?
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
markw
2.0 Turbo

Re: Front ARB Bushes - help!!!

Post by markw »

Not done this myself, but Servicebox shows a separate nut for these.( ie not captive) It's on a lovely long 115mm bolt too with lots of exposed threads..... :roll:
You can see the opposite side one in your pic.
I would guess the way to do these is to get a long reach socket on the nut while turning the bolt head from below...... :?:

Oddly, Servicebox shows the bolt uppermost, pointing down with the nut underneath, which can't be right judging by the length of that bolt.
2001 ES9J4S Coupe Manual Diablo
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

Mark,

Thanks for the quick response, that's what I needed to know just wasn't sure if the visible bolt head corresponded to the nut on the clamp.
I can get my 19mm off set ring spanner on the nut from the wheel arch which is a good job as you need the mother of all deep sockets to fit over the incredibly long bolt.
2003 2.2 HDI SE
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

gumby,
When I did mine I needed to remove the droplinks from the anti rollbar first & yes a ring spanner on the nut & a socket on the bolt head.
You'll soon find out why the bolts so long :wink: , it's so you can get it on to clamp up the rubber bush tight, oh & I think you'll strugle to do this with out jacking up the front end :roll: .
Best of luck DDD.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

Cheers DDD, as much as I appreciate MarkW checking servicepox is always nice to hear from someone who's done the job.
I only had the car up on my small axle stands as my £20 jack doesn't lift particularly high hence the lack of room under there.
I think I'll disconnect the drop links and then put it on the ramps to give me some more elbow room. I never like giving stubborn bolts the heave ho when it's on stands as my drive isn't the most level.
Just having a look at the job the other night I had the axle stand + jack + wheel under the sill - just in case!!!!
2003 2.2 HDI SE