Wheel alignment

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

hasler88
1.8 16v

Wheel alignment

Post by hasler88 »

Hello all

Has anyone done wheel alignment on a 406 as I have just changed tracked rod ends but don't want to spend £40 - £60 getting it done as I need to change the strut bearing when it arrives next week, need to use my car in the mean time.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: Wheel alignment

Post by PeterN »

For the last 30 years or so I have used a simple home made alignment tool that works very well. I have a length of small bore metal tube, I think its old electrical conduit, and a length of threaded rod that slides inside it, there is a nut on it the overall length can be adjusted.

With the car on the ground or a ramp would be better, adjust the length so that it just touches the inside front edges of the tyres about level with the bottom of the wheel, move it to the back of the wheel at the same height above the ground, a brick or wooden block can be used, if the wheels are towing in you should have a very small gap at the end, if its tighter the wheels are towing out, I adjust mine so that there is about 2mm gap at the back.

I have set all my cars like this and have never had problems with uneven wear.

Peter
hasler88
1.8 16v

Post by hasler88 »

Unfortunately all I have available is string at the moment
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

You could starch it . :D String will do the job but its more difficult to be accurate. You could use a bamboo cane or length of dowling and cut it to fit.

Peter
hasler88
1.8 16v

Post by hasler88 »

Doesn't need to be too accurate as I will be getting all 4 done properly when ive finished changing suspension bits
hasler88
1.8 16v

Post by hasler88 »

Got it pretty much bang on apart from the rear left which is 5mm in, I mangled the top link bracket on the subframe last MOT