Steering a bit trolly like

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

andyr84
1.6 8v

Steering a bit trolly like

Post by andyr84 »

I recently did the "10 minute drop link change" from the earlier post to cure the knocking, worked wonders :-) thanks for that

Today ive had something new, the steering has become very light, where a tiny turn on the wheel gives alot of response to the wheels, it got a bit scary taking my mum shopping earlier when i hit 60 on the dual carridgeway and the car violently swerved right and back left violently with a very slight touch to the steering wheel.

I havent had it up in the air tonight to have a look, i checked the drop links were still secure which they are, but im lookin for any advice before i get under it tomorrow, im thinking a worn bush somewhere maybe?

Anyone else had this problem? it felt like i was driving a high speed trolly that might turn itself at any moment

Its the 2002 2.0 HDi saloon model, reminds me of a taxi
PeterN
3.0 24v

Re: Steering a bit trolly like

Post by PeterN »

If for some reason your tracking is out it could have that effect as could excessive tyre pressures.

Peter
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

Worn bearings in the strut can have a similar effect, if the bearing is stiff/seized the spring can twist under tension as you turn the wheel, this causes the steering to centre very sharply.
You'll usually hear a knocking sound as you turn the wheel at low speeds but I'd expect the steering to stiffen up rather than going light as you described but worth a check.
Start the engine and get someone to turn the steering lock-to-lock while you watch the springs for any judder as the strut rotates.
Also the wishbone bushes might be worth a look, pop the strut top covers off and rock the car back and forth and looking for play in the rear bush, the 3 torx bolts in the strut top will also visibly move if there is play in the wishbone bush.

As Peter says tracking is also worth checking especially as you've recently been working on the suspension, it's a good idea to get it checked whenever you change sussy bits but often gets overlooked.
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
andyr84
1.6 8v

Post by andyr84 »

I had a look earlier watching the springs while turning and rocking the car and didnt see much, on the top where the 3 bolts are they didnt move but on turning the metal plate with the big bolt did rock back and forward on the rubber when turning in each direction on both of them.

I havent lifted car up yet as rain was a bit off putting, laying on wet gravel aint something i like ;)
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Does the car have variable rate power steering?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
andyr84
1.6 8v

Post by andyr84 »

that sounds interesting? :/ variable rate power steering? i dont see any buttons or levers lol, no idea and i doubt it
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Hmm, probably not as it's a "Standard" :shock: I do know the system can screw up and give light steering at speed but AFAIK it was only fitted to high spec cars.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Neither of my execs had/have it, suspect it's a v6 thang
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
andyr84
1.6 8v

Post by andyr84 »

V6, gawd my dad would die at the fuel cost! naw its 2.0 hdi rapier i think.

Ive had chance to have a look underneath, on drivers side on the wishbone on the part thats held with 2 bolts attached to the car frame (i think) i can see daylight shining through the top half of the rubber, so im guessing thats gone, the rest of the rubbers do look fairly healthy.

My next question is ive looked on flea bay and theres sellers offering the bush in the aluminium housing,( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-406-F ... 418189863e ) but what id like to ask is how hard are they to change on the wishbone itself? Has anyone changed one?

Ive seen a pair of wishbones for about 90 quid but with the current list of things to replace piling up, trying to save the scrap heap breaking the bank

Cheers for your advice
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

Changing the wishbones or just the bush are both very doable for the home mechanic.
Be careful with the quality if you just do the bush, the aluminium can be very soft and dificult to torque the screws without stripping threads. Been there, done that :oops: (I now own a torque wrench)
Personally I'd spend a bit more on the bushes or trawl/wait for a reasonably priced pair of wishbones, and possibly have a look at doing things like bottom ball joints while you're at it.
Jack, stands, socket set and hefty tickling stick and you're good to go (bottom ball joints require a special socket and a decent length breaker bar if you decide to change them).
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE