Springs Change, Never done but maybe...

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

andyr84
1.6 8v

Springs Change, Never done but maybe...

Post by andyr84 »

Ok one of the things coming up to do is the springs all round.
Its 406 Hdi 90 2002 and they are all peeling alot of coating and covered in rust and been on the last 2 mot advisorys

Im wanting to have a go but the one thing thats bothering me is the thought of something slipping and a large heavy spring smashing my head in.

Ive seen the hand manual compression tools online for £12- £15 , are they going to but a big dent in my head?

Next thing, is it fairly hard thing to change? I'm a have a go person, i have a decent set of spanners and sockets grips etc and prefer to learn than become reliant on everyone else. Is there anything i should know for example , i'll kill myself if i try?

Any hints or tips much appriciated

Thanks
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Re: Springs Change, Never done but maybe...

Post by gumby6371 »

My advice would be buy the bits and take them and the complete leg to a local 'friendly' garage for the spring change it's a much safer option and probably cheaper than buying decent quality compressors anyway.

You'll need to detach the drop link from the shock, undo the clamp on the hub and 'persuade' the shock free then undo the 3 bolts at the strut top. The leg should be free at this point, I'd advise supporting the hub on a block of wood or something similar to avoid straining brake lines etc..
The shock can be a git tight in the hub so you might want to give it a good soaking in your freeing agent of choice for a couple of days prior to removal and arm yourself with something to clout it with.

I'll be doing a top mount change after pay day so I'll take some pics for a 'how-to' if it's needed/I remember? My ARB bushes are a bit squeaky so they may get changed at the same time.
It's always worth budgeting for top mount kits/bearings/drop links before removing anything in case of any nasty surprises after removal.
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
TheSongRemainsTheSame
1.8 16v

Post by TheSongRemainsTheSame »

My advice, having lost a spring from a cheap compression tool, and seeing the dent it made in the wall, is to either shell out for a professional tool or just dismount the complete mcpherson strut and get a garage to do the dirty work.

Rear spring are super easy. I usually do them with a crowbar.
Land of the Free?
TheSongRemainsTheSame
1.8 16v

Post by TheSongRemainsTheSame »

Oh and the left front drive shaft will often come out and your gearoil will end up on the floor unless you are careful.
Land of the Free?
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Yes, I agree, you must take great care or get a garage to replace the springs after you have removed the struts....If you have never done one before do as advised already above.

Good call on the left hand driveshaft :D
andyr84
1.6 8v

Post by andyr84 »

I think the garage can do this then, i like my head too much ;)
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

Getting it off the car is straight forward enough, just get the garage to do the spring bit and you'll save plenty of cash
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE