Front top mount change

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

gumby6371
3.0 24v

Front top mount change

Post by gumby6371 »

I've got the tell tale knock..knock..knock from the OSF when turning the wheels at low speed, shocks and springs look good and not very old so touch wood its just the top mount. Pay day is approaching so just doing a double check before I go ahead;

Is this all I need ?
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peuge ... 508&000346
And if I undo the drop link and the clamp bolt will that allow the wishbone to drop far enough to get the strut out?

I'll be taking it to a local garage to swap the mount so no fear on flying springs.
1996 1.9 TD LX (Gone but not forgotten)
2003 2.2 HDI SE
jasper5
3.0 24v

Re: Front top mount change

Post by jasper5 »

Those are the strut top bearings, the top mount is a different item.

Take off the link rod fitting and the pinch bolt, open up the gap at the back where the pinch bolt was, squirt wd40 inside where the strut fits and knock down the lower part to release the strut...it may be a bit tight coming out of the bottom part....undo the top bolts.

When you fit the strut back on line up the little pip that sticks out of the strut at the bottom with the slot where the pinch bolt goes.
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

Thanks Jasper for confirming the removal procedure, a google search came up with lots of comments about removing hub nuts etc but I can't see why you'd need to touch them to just remove the strut.
I'm assuming the problem will be the bearings but won't know until I get it off the car. I got the other half to watch the spring as I turned the wheel and she said it juddered rather than a nice smooth turn.
2003 2.2 HDI SE
bytecode
2.0 16v

Post by bytecode »

Hi Gumby,

I am assuming that you're talking about the same top mount that I replaced recently when replacing my coils and strut-mount bearings?

Whilst replacing the mounts, one of the new mounts was faulty - the metal wedge rotated AND there was vertical play, so there was too much vertical travel when going over lumps and bumps and a resulting knock when the anti-roll bar hit the subframe.

I didn't discover any knocks from turning the steering from side-to-side though.

There's an illustrative pic at the start of the thread below comparing old and new bearings and mounts.
I think that you're right to get the garage to do the swap if you're not as crazy as I am. I managed to rupture my fingernail when my compressors slipped off one of the coils and the coil jumped off the strut.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22087

I've also posted a list of random thoughts/tips at the end of that thread for anyone that might benefit - but I think you're probably au fait with it all anyway :)

Good luck - Hurrah for Pay day :D
gumby6371 wrote:I've got the tell tale knock..knock..knock from the OSF when turning the wheels at low speed, shocks and springs look good and not very old so touch wood its just the top mount. Pay day is approaching so just doing a double check before I go ahead;

Is this all I need ?
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Peuge ... 508&000346
And if I undo the drop link and the clamp bolt will that allow the wishbone to drop far enough to get the strut out?

I'll be taking it to a local garage to swap the mount so no fear on flying springs.
Now if I can just fit the mods from "Taxi" http://tinyurl.com/3yug4g3

I can provide PP2000/Lexia 3 code reading/clearing in the East Cornwall/West Devon area.
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

First of all thanks to Bytecode for the extra info.

My local CES has a top mount kit in stock for £57 so I'll be tackling this over the weekend.
I found a very good guide on the toupe forum that suggests compressing the spring on the car which makes sounds like a plan, jack the hub up to compress the spring then fit the compressors so minimum winding required.
My mechanic mate is doing his scarlet pimpernel impression so I'll be investing in some of these as they have good reviews;
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... ogId=10151
It will give me a chance to put my newly acquired trade card to some use.

Just wondering ... would some moly lith grease on the bearing be a good idea or shall I leave it dry as Pug intended?
2003 2.2 HDI SE
markw
2.0 Turbo

Post by markw »

The bearing is as good as sealed, you won't be able to get any extra grease in there.
2001 ES9J4S Coupe Manual Diablo
gumby6371
3.0 24v

Post by gumby6371 »

Well I finally got round to it!
Armed myself with some spring compressors and a KYB top mount kit.
As it turns out the existing one was in tip top condition and still looked like new but as it was off I put the new one on anyway.

If anyone would like to buy my old one feel free to make me an offer????
IMG_20140615_161047238_HDR.jpg
2003 2.2 HDI SE