Power steering issue

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

bilsten

Power steering issue

Post by bilsten »

Hi all,

I have a problem with the speed sensitive power steering on my 406 v6 from 2000 (235 000 km).
The loss of power steering was gradual, and especially noticeable at low speed when trying to park. I am not sure, but the power steering seems to improve after 15-20 min of driving - and the fluid reservouir is filled.

I have tried to turn the wheel to full stop and listened after the power steering motor bypass, but it does not come with a high characteristic sound as on my friends v6 from '99. There seems to be a sound but it is high pitched low volume squeal.

There is no warning lights in the dashboard, but the car also appears to be leaking engine coolant, even though I think that the problem is not necessarily related.

I suspect that the power steering motor is defect, but perhaps you have some other thoughts or ways of troubleshooting the issue :?:
midsmike
3.0 24v

Re: Power steering issue

Post by midsmike »

Did you sort the problem out
1998 peugeot 406 2.1 td executive saloon silver,d9 mods 18" dare v2 alloys In Phase XTC 6.5″ 240W Component Speakers up front and Vibe Slick 6x9 Three Way Speakers - Slick 693 in the rear runing off a Alpine MRV-F307 V12 Series amp and a vibe cbr 12 twin evo sub in the boot. 1998 peugeot 406 2.1 td lx saloon red
8Jb9
2.0 16v

Post by 8Jb9 »

No, he hasn't sorted it out yet.

PP2000 shows no faults. The plan is to hook up a pump from a donor-car and see if it works. An alternative could be to run a pressure test, but the equipment is not available to us (note - 100bar!):
http://www.peugeot206cc.co.uk/repair-20 ... ed0ck3.htm
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Check the crankshaft pulley hasn't separated - it's two bits with a bit of rubber separating them. The rubber can disintegrate causing the pulley to slip on itself. Simple check is to paint a line across it, from centre to edge and see if it's still just one line the next day
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
8Jb9
2.0 16v

Post by 8Jb9 »

This is a very old post, but for the sake of anyone else having the same problem:

The variable valve on the power steering rack did not work any longer. The solenoid resistance was out of spec (open circuit, I believe). Replaced the little valve with one from Ade, and all was well.
NinoB
2.2 16v

Post by NinoB »

Hello, I dunno if anyone can help me, my steering wheel is too extra soft and too sensitive, if am travelling it will become worse, please what is the problem? What can I do?
8Jb9
2.0 16v

Post by 8Jb9 »

Hi Nino.

We need some more information.

1) Which model (engine, etc) do you have?
2) What do you mean by too sensitive? Is there any play in it?
3) Is it something that suddenly appeared?
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Sounds like another variable steering gone too light. How did you diagnose yours?
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
8Jb9
2.0 16v

Post by 8Jb9 »

In our case it went heavy, although you're right. I suspect a friend's variable has failed light (doesn't feel right).

In this particular case I measured across the solenoid and found that it was an open circuit, I believe.

If the variable power steering fails in sort of has to be one of two things:
-The solenoid can't move
-It can move, but it's not getting the right signal

I seem to recall that I saw a graph of applied voltage vs speed at some point - could be worth looking at for our unfortunate gentleman?