(another) ABS Fault

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

adamp406v62

(another) ABS Fault

Post by adamp406v62 »

Hi,

I've been reading a few of the past ABS fault posts but I don't think any match the problem I've recently discovered.

I've got a 2002 v6 Saloon, recently had the brakes (Discs and Pads) replaced and since then, when stopping it feels like the ABS is kicking in below 20/15 mph.

When braking from motorway speeds it's fine, I've not noticed this issue at all, but when you come to a stop, the ABS will kick in maybe 2/3/4 times before you finally stop. when i say ABS kicking in, it's like the brake releases momentarily and there's a kind of springy/boingy?? noise from the front of the car and I can feel some vibration through the pedal, which reminds me a bit of braking on ice, that same kind of noise.

Any thoughts? I'm going to go back to the garage on Friday, but thought someone on here may know?

Thanks
jamjar1383
3.0 24v

Re: (another) ABS Fault

Post by jamjar1383 »

i have the same prob on mine did u find out what it was??

i could really use some help, i bought mine the other day and the chap i bought it from said about this prob and it had only come on after kwick fit had done the disc's and pads.
d9 hdi 90 rapier estate

"Understeer" is when you hit the fence with the front of the car.
"Oversteer" is when you hit the fence with the rear of the car.
"Horsepower" is how fast you hit the fence.
"Torque" is how far you take the fence with you.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

jamjar1383 wrote:...it had only come on after kwick fit had...
First mistake :?

I reckon both of you need to check for cracks in the reluctor rings :(
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
jamjar1383
3.0 24v

Post by jamjar1383 »

if there cracked would that cause the systoms???
d9 hdi 90 rapier estate

steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Apparently. Have a squint, or maybe they clobbered a pick up coil.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
jamjar1383
3.0 24v

Post by jamjar1383 »

steve_earwig wrote:Apparently. Have a squint, or maybe they clobbered a pick up coil.
cheers steve, im gonna have a look on the weekend now, just done the crank pully today, i'll get some pics up weekend too
d9 hdi 90 rapier estate

adamp406v62

Post by adamp406v62 »

Hi Guys,

Sorry i forgot to check back here!

My problem has only recently started happening, I did have the disks/pads done some time ago but i'm sure everything has been fine till recently.

I took the car to a mates uncle who said his diag machine shows a code that needs a main dealers machine to get the right info out?

I'm by (absolutely) no means an experianced mechanic, but, I am willing to go so far and use my eyes to try and diag the problem myself, how much stuff am I likely to need to take apart to see these rings?

Also, is there anything I can try to try and determine where the problem is, like disconnecting the ABS cables or something like that (I can hear the gasps now)

I've got scan tool so I can try and get some info from the ECU myself, but I'm not sure how useful that's likely to be!

If it is a damaged ring (oo err) what's the cost of the part likely to be? and would anyone happen to have a part code?

Thanks!
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

Damaged rings is a very likely cause of your problem, and it's not an uncommon fault on cars this old. To have a look, jack the car up, support it on axle stands, kneel by the cabin area then get your head under. You're looking for a notched ring around the driveshafts by the CV boots next to the wheel hubs. Spin the wheels and check for cracks. Might also help to check the condition of the sensors
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
jamjar1383
3.0 24v

Post by jamjar1383 »

mine ony seems to happen when im doing under 20mph, i however thought abs only kicks in after 30mph??

im still gonna have a look and report my findings
d9 hdi 90 rapier estate

mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

jamjar1383 wrote:i however thought abs only kicks in after 30mph??
No, it'll work from a slow walking pace on ice/snow
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
DaiRees
Site Admin

Post by DaiRees »

ABS works at anything over a few mph I think. I discovered this in the wife's fucus a couple of years ago when it was new and I took the nipper out for a ride just to see what it was like in the snow. Well the weather was alot worse than I though and I found myself in a blizzard descending a hill coated in compacted snow, the abs worked and controlled the speed reasonably well until you actually try to stop, then when you're nearly stopped all 4 wheels lock and the car starts to accelerate, release the brakes and re-apply and go through the process again, but I couldn't actually bring the car to a halt :shock: . I know it was only crawling speed but there were parked cars everywhere and other vehicles slithering down the same hill in front and behind (nothing coming up though!! :oops: ), bit of a brown trouser moment, especially with my boy on board! How I didn't hit anything I'll never know, prolly wouldn't have done much damage but I wouldn't have wanted to face the wife if I'd dinged her new car. :supafrisk: .
Playtime_Fontayne wrote:"Dai Rees Supplier of Fine Automobilia. Established 2007"
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

DaiRees wrote:compacted snow, the abs worked and controlled the speed reasonably well until you actually try to stop,
ABS is evil in snow. I prefer to yank the fuse as you stop a hell of a lot quicker if your wheels are ploughing through the snow instead of rolling over the top of it :shock:
jamjar1383
3.0 24v

Post by jamjar1383 »

well the abs rings on the drive shafts are intact and not split, but another symtom is there's a grinding noise???
all pads and disc's are new and fitted correctly (not normal for kwick fit :cheesy: )
im at a loss as to what the cause is as ive striped it all down and re fitted it all my self in the correct way.

the grinding noise has been there from the start and i forgot to mention it till now.
d9 hdi 90 rapier estate

ianjoh
1.8 16v

Post by ianjoh »

Front or rear? Try jacking up each corner and giving each wheel a spin.
99 HDi Estate 110 fast approaching 200K. edit: now 215K
adamp406v62

Post by adamp406v62 »

Hi Guys,

Fortunately my car was under warranty and the stealers fixed it for nothing, I think they even forgot to charge me the diagnostic time.

They replaced a driveshaft, tried to get me to pay for the other side (it didn't need doing so the warranty people wouldn't pay for it....), I believe it was a cracked ring in the end, that's what they told me, so I don't know 100% what it was.

they also replaced a switch in the brake fluid resovoir that was throwing up the brake fluid level message on the screen for 90 quid.

So now I'm down to a knocking noise when I accelerate hard (and come off the gas) and sometimes on rough roads(engine mount?), a very unusual squeak that sounds like it's the suspension, it's espeiclaly evident over bumpy surfaces but I'm sure I've also heard it while slaming the doors, especially the boot AND also I think the tappets are really very loud.....but.....god knows.