Where to put axle stands on rear of sri?

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

jason1987
3.0 24v

Where to put axle stands on rear of sri?

Post by jason1987 »

i tried putting my car on axle stands earlier when looking at rear brakes and i couldnt see anywhere to put them? i jacked the car up on the suspension arm i think it is, but couldnt see where to put the axle stands, i tried on the axle but the car just went down as its part of the suspension
Daz406
1.6 8v

Re: Where to put axle stands on rear of sri?

Post by Daz406 »

In the handbook of my 2000 model i am sure it says to put them under the sill about where the scissor jack would normally go.
jason1987
3.0 24v

Post by jason1987 »

yh the sill seems to bend and creak tho, feels like its gonna bend and break
totaleclipse
2.0 16v

Post by totaleclipse »

jason1987 wrote:yh the sill seems to bend and creak tho, feels like its gonna bend and break
your on the wrong part or your sill is not very well then, theres a kind of "tab" that sticks down, bout 3" long, stick em on tat bit.
1997 2.1TD executive estate - mmmm, lovely :)
jason1987
3.0 24v

Post by jason1987 »

i dont know, it just looks like it cant take the weight, the sill is a thin bendy thing, and the jack is a round piece not like the scissor jack
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I never like putting it on the sills, I worry it's going to flex something and then rust, rust, rust. On the D8 the trailing arm is tubular and if you put the stands near the front bushes it sits on them a treat. On the D9 it's cast and triangular so not very stable 'cos you can't get the stands central. You can put them under the spring seats but, seeing as how this is the best place to put a trolley jack, it's not very easy. I tried it once, putting the jack towards the centre of the car on the lower arm but, after I had an ohfuskinghellshitshitshit moment when the car started to slide off it, I'll not be trying it again.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

I just lump it in 1st with chocks under the front, jack it up high on one sill, put an axle stand under the other, drop the car to rest on the stand, then shove another stand next to the jack just in case. If I needed to get under with the wheels off I'd probably slap a couple more axle stands under anything metal

Jacking up the front's much easier and secure. Just one jack to list the sill then another jack under the subframe, then axle stands on the sills 8)
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

I usually put them under the sill with a block of wood to spread the load and save any damage; also check the jacking points in this picture:

1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

I really don't like using the bottoms of the rear springs for jacking. Firstly they move, and secondly they BEND when any weight's on them...
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

mjb wrote:I really don't like using the bottoms of the rear springs for jacking. Firstly they move, and secondly they BEND when any weight's on them...
I totally agree, it's just that I happened to spot it on the diagram.
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

I thought bending when there's weight on them was the reason for a spring's existence, or do you mean the bottom arm? :shock: Teamster's diagram seems to say this is the approved place for a jack though :?

I have two sets of stands, one set have the tops squashed flat from sticking them under the front subframe, I'm wondering if I could/should make up a bracket for the tops that actually fits the jacking points...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

steve_earwig wrote:I'm wondering if I could/should make up a bracket for the tops that actually fits the jacking points...
That'd take all the fun out of it, Steve.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

steve_earwig wrote:I thought bending when there's weight on them was the reason for a spring's existence, or do you mean the bottom arm? :shock:
I mean the bottom arm. Where it grabs the bottom of the spring is pretty weak and can't sustain the weight of the whole rear of the car on the area my jack exerts it
Teamster's diagram seems to say this is the approved place for a jack though :?
Approved by Autodata, not Peugeot. I'm pretty sure PSA don't even approve jacking on the subframe (which is fair given it can bend if you don't use wood to spread the load with a V6 up top... :oops: )