Steering not straight after 4 wheel alignment??

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

Bailes1992

Steering not straight after 4 wheel alignment??

Post by Bailes1992 »

After I had a load of suspension work done I took my car in for 4 wheel alignment. I noticed yesterday that to go straight the steeringwheel is a few degrees to the right??

Is this a problem with the wheel alignment and should I take it back?

Bailes.
2020 BMW 520d MSport Touring My Daily
2017 Dacia Logan MCV 1.5DCi Laureate Wifes
1996 Land Rover Defender 90 County SW 300TDi My Toy
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220 3.0 V6 My Other Toy
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Steering not straight after 4 wheel alignment??

Post by steve_earwig »

So the steering wheel isn't straight but the steering is? Two possibilities - they're supposed to turn both trackrods so they're exactly the same number of turns along the steering arms, this means the steering wheel should remain straight and, more importantly, the steering angles won't wear your tyres out. The other possibility is they did it right but some twat in the car's past hasn't and just turned the steering wheel to suit. What you could do is count the number of turns lock to lock, halve this and turn the steering wheel this number of turns, if it ends up straight go back and complain, if it ends up how it is now you'll need to remove your steering wheel and put it back straight.

Hmm, there's always possibility number three - it ends up somewhere else entirely but wheel (ha!) cross that bridge when we come to it.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

It's what happens if you don't hang around while other people are working on your car... They didn't properly centre the steering wheel before doing the alignment. I always drive the car onto the ramp myself now and make sure it's properly straight with the steering lock on!
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

I did hang around and I did drive it on myself but I didn't know anything about it etc. I'l take it back. Funny enough I took my Uncles 406 for a quick run around the block and his is exactly the same! :shock:
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Did he take his to the same garage? Has the mechanic there got one arm longer than the other??
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Bailes1992

Post by Bailes1992 »

Nah he's had nothing done to his car suspension wise except he had his N/S strut collapse about 2 years ago so might be from when that happened.
I'l take the car back tommorow and see whgat they say.
Stenasev
1.8 16v

Post by Stenasev »

Hi all,

Glad this topic has come up as I need a 4 wheel alignment and wondered what the going rate is for adjustment?

I bought the car with severe inner rear tyre wear. I had two new tyres fitted today and asked about rear alignment and was told that it's not adjustable! Had the tyres fitted and then they decide that they can adjust it and surprise surprise the front and rear need doing at £36 per end = £72.

Does this seem reasonably average or should I shop around? I think the last time I ever had tracking done it cost £12.

Cheers,

Steve
2003 406 2.2HDi SE Estate Manual - Sold
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

Don't know what the going rate for alignment is.

The front tracking can be adjusted as normal, the rear tracking cannot be adjusted but the top horizontal link has an eccentric bolt that allows a little adjustment in and out which could alter the angle of contact that the rear tyres have on the road, possibly rectifying the severe tyre wear that you suffered.

Welcome by the way :D
Archangel
2.0 Turbo

Post by Archangel »

Stenasev wrote:Hi all,

Glad this topic has come up as I need a 4 wheel alignment and wondered what the going rate is for adjustment?

I bought the car with severe inner rear tyre wear. I had two new tyres fitted today and asked about rear alignment and was told that it's not adjustable! Had the tyres fitted and then they decide that they can adjust it and surprise surprise the front and rear need doing at £36 per end = £72.

Does this seem reasonably average or should I shop around? I think the last time I ever had tracking done it cost £12.

Cheers,

Steve
Kwikfit do tracking at 20 odd quid , not the cheapest but gives you an idea what prices countrywide are ,them being national company.
not everyone does 4 wheel alignment
Replacement !
1998 2.1 TD LX Estate Red 196,000 TURBO DIESEL XUD11BTE "Alice " 200 k just hit yesterday 17/2/2012 not bio yet , smooth box , lovely runner

1997 1.9 TD GLX Estate Black XUD9TE " Norma " now sold