Changing front spring - how?

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

diesel406
1.8 16v

Changing front spring - how?

Post by diesel406 »

Can anyone provide any guidance on how to change the front suspension spring on a 2003 D9? Mine just broke and tore up my tyre! :shock: :evil:

PS - Just found this comment:

You'll need axle stands, a torque wrench, ball-joint separator, spring compressors (possibly 2 sets unless you have long reach ones, the front springs are large) theres some other stuff too that i cant remember right now. if you dont have much experience working on suspension i'd say send it to someone who has, if you are going to do it yourself use the haynes book for the torque wrench settings when you put it all back together, more or less every nut you remove needs to be tightened up at the right torque

garage would charge at least 2 hours+ for a job like that, best off phoning a couple for a quote

... is this true for D9 front springs? I have just changed the springs and dampers on my VW so not afraid of the suspension! :cheesy:
Engineer by day - Car mechanic by night - there is a difference!
Now gone to the German Dark Side!!!
At work: http://www.fatigue-expert.com and http://www.xanthusenergy.com
plod
3.0 24v

Re: Changing front spring - how?

Post by plod »

If you want the easy way, go to a scrappy and pick up a strut and swap it over

I bought one in the past and cost me £30+vat

Means just undoing the 3 bolts on the top, the one to the drop link and the one holding the strut to the hub IIRC

The problem with the 406 springs is that they are inordinately long and take some compressing. Was bit of a bottom clencher when trying to compress them down and was worried the clamps would come off. Borrowed a hydraulic spring compresser in the end, and made it so much easier and SAFER as did the ones on my car earlier in the year.
1999 D8.5 HDi GLX - Sold :(

2007 Mondingo Zetec - I seek forgiveness :( Bring back my 406
jasper5
3.0 24v

Post by jasper5 »

This is how I do the job.....It may not be by the book but I have 40 years experience of working as a pro, 30 years in business.
Undo the wheel bolts.
Follow all safety guidelines for jacking up a vehicle and support it on axle stands.
Some people would have you remove the bottom ball joint...I never do.
Slacken off the big nut at the top of the shock absorber, only slacken it a touch, don't remove it yet.
undo the nut that holds on the anti roll bar link rod on (drop link) either the top one or bottom depends which is easier and remove it.
Move away the rubber brake hose.
Undo the nut and bolt at the bottom of the strut (16mm nut)and knock out the bolt.Spray WD40 around the bottom of the strut where the bolt came out.
Get a chisel or something to spread the gap from where you took out the bolt, then hammer on the hub assembly until the strut is almost away from the hub assembly.
Get a large crowbar or some other sort of lever and lever down the bottom suspension arm until the strut can be pulled away from the lower suspension arm.If this is the passenger side watch out for the driveshaft popping out and leaking oil.
Undo the 3 bolts holding the strut on at the top and safely remove it.
Use all safety precautions and fit spring compressors to the spring, compress the spring being very careful not to let the compressors slip off, this a major safety hazard so be careful!!!
Undo the top nut and remove the top mounting and the old spring.
Check the top mounting bearings for damage/wear and replace if required.
Compress the new spring using the safety precautions mentioned and fit the spring and top mounting assembly, remove the compressors.
Refit the strut and top bolts.
Press down the lower suspension arm and refit the strut into the hub assembly....it can be a bit tricky to get back in, but if you are sensible you will see how it goes back in, line up the slot at the rear of the strut and refit the nut and bolt....watch out for the driveshaft again if it's the left side.
Fasten everything else back up and job done.
You may have a damaged CV joint boot, check that before you start and replace as you go.

Good luck, but be careful!!!!!!
diesel406
1.8 16v

Post by diesel406 »

Thanks for the suggestions - especially Jasper5's comments ... most useful :D
Engineer by day - Car mechanic by night - there is a difference!
Now gone to the German Dark Side!!!
At work: http://www.fatigue-expert.com and http://www.xanthusenergy.com