Oh, standard 406 alloys... what are your details?

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

sockpuppet
2.0 16v

Oh, standard 406 alloys... what are your details?

Post by sockpuppet »

hello all

i have this car, apparently its some sort of peugeot, dunno if you guys know much about them...

as you can see i have the standard 406 rapier alloy wheels, 15" in size.

im wanting to chuck them on ebay so that i can buy some nice shiny new ones, but ive never bought/sold wheels before, and it appears theres lots of "interesting" bits of info i need to look out for, such as offset, stud diameter and other things that i dont fully understand.

can anybody tell me the details about these alloys so that i can search for something similar, cos i dont want to have to change anything, let alone the expensive low profile tyres ive just bought at £45 each.

The wheels I want come with these details: 6.5J X 15" ET40 PCD 4X100, so im wondering if these are in any way similar to what i have.

cheers!

406 2.0 HDi Rapier, 2003 plate
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Re: Oh, standard 406 alloys... what are your details?

Post by Gary406 »

if it was my rapier i would keep the standard wheels you have, (i like cars original and standard)

8)

how much u wanting for them wheels and what are the tyres like ?

thanks 8)
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

Your wheels are ET18 (I think) and have a PCD of 4x108. The alloys you are after will not fit without some hub adaptors to alter the stud spacing from 4x108 to 4x100.

In laymans terms, the offset is how far the hub face sits from an imaginary centre line drawn through the centre of the wheel (looking at it from the top) and the PCD is the wheel nut spacing as follows: number of studs x distance between centres of opposing bolts. I.e. 4x108 has 4 studs and a distance of 108mm between bolt holes, whereas a PCD of 5x100 has 5 studs and a distance of 100mm between bolt holes.

See here for further details.

BTW, those wheels on your 406 are named Nimrods. ALso, fitting lower profile tyres than standard will make your car accelerate faster, but have a lower top speed, but most importantly will make your speedo incorrect as you've reduced the rolling radius.
Image Image
'98 2.1TD Executive Daily Drive........................................'94 309 Goodwood Project Car
sockpuppet
2.0 16v

Post by sockpuppet »

Lower top speed you say? I didnt know this, i was told it would accelerate better but had no idea it affected the top speed.

I wish id known this when buying the tyres. i think ill keep the standard wheels actually, as ive discovered the ones i liked were £189 EACH not for a set of four, and im simply not in a financial position to do that, so will very probably keep them. theyre quite nice wheels for standard ones to be fair!

StevieboyTD
3.0 24v

Post by StevieboyTD »

£45 a corner for rubber? Is the brand name picked out in gold or something! :shock:
2.1td exec estate.
Gary406
The moderator with a 1.9TD!

Post by Gary406 »

sockpuppet wrote:Lower top speed you say? I didnt know this, i was told it would accelerate better but had no idea it affected the top speed.

I wish id known this when buying the tyres. i think ill keep the standard wheels actually, as ive discovered the ones i liked were £189 EACH not for a set of four, and im simply not in a financial position to do that, so will very probably keep them. theyre quite nice wheels for standard ones to be fair!
in theory tho you will never find out if it effects the top speed as you shouldnt be going that fast anyway 8)

i agree with you tho , keep the original wheels , look good and give much better comfort that bigger alloys with low profile tyres 8) 8)
2004 (04) Volkswagen Bora 1.9 TDi (100)
sockpuppet
2.0 16v

Post by sockpuppet »

ahh will definately keep them then!

and yeah £45 each, theyre Mohawk racing tyres, very grippy, i could handle roundabouts at 50mph in the rain with no slipping at all (im from milton keynes where all the roads are 70, by the way, and trust me 50mph in milton keynes is slow)

johnboy
2.0 16v

Post by johnboy »

Do 206 wheels fit the 406?
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

With 10mm spacers and slightly longer wheel bolts, yes.
Image Image
'98 2.1TD Executive Daily Drive........................................'94 309 Goodwood Project Car