Brembo conversion

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

Waldo155
1.6 8v

Brembo conversion

Post by Waldo155 »

I am at the point where the front discs need replacing and the standard caliper's could do with a rebuild or replacing, I don't want to land up with the expense of replacing the wheels to do the Brembo conversion and wondered if my original 6 1/2J Hoggar's will fit over the Brembo caliper's?

I understand that the coupe Hoggar's are 7J against my 6 1/2J Executive Hoggar's so would any of you very knowlegeable chaps know if mine will go straight on or will I need spacers or have to swap the wheels?
The other thing was the brake hoses, is there only one Brembo type or two as Hel seem to list two in their braided range?

Thank you muchly 👍😊
Waldo155
1.6 8v

Re: Brembo conversion

Post by Waldo155 »

I'm sure my 6 1/2J Hoggar's are ET20 and the coupe's are ET12 so guess they are not going to fit with my wheels.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Also, the Coupe Hoggars have a scalloped section on the rear of the spokes to clear the Brembo calipers

I'm sure you'll be fine with some spacers if you are concerned

Are you definitely going ahead with the Brembo conversion? The calipers are good, if sometimes noisy , but the V6 Coupe had the same brakes as the estate/saloon models towards the end of their run, not Brembos.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Waldo155
1.6 8v

Post by Waldo155 »

Thanks for the info, I think at this point in time I'm led more by cost. I have a set of Brembo's but guess even a set of spacers and new hoses will cost more than some recon standard caliper's. My 406 is a 2003 estate and I've always found the standard brakes a little poor for the weight of the car, over the years I've tried different "standard type" make pads and discs but they all seem the same despite the claims and costs involved. GM do you know the piston diameter of the later, standard caliper's and are they larger than the earlier caliper pistons? Just if I order up some recon standards I'll know I'm ordering the right ones. Thank you.