Rear brakes upgrades?

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

hullcitytilidie
1.8 8v

Rear brakes upgrades?

Post by hullcitytilidie »

Well I've got my fronts sorted. Ended up fitting the 16" Starfish alloys with the Brembo calipers along with 215 55 r16 Dunlop sport blu response tyres. All done on a very limited budget, and a massive improvement in my opinion.
I was just wondering if anyone has done any mods to the rear brakes? The rear handbrake for example is not the best? Is there a hydraulic possibility? Also is there an improvement to be had over the standard calipers? Regards, Geoff.
2003 2.2 HDi 136 Exec estate.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Re: Rear brakes upgrades?

Post by steve_earwig »

The standard calipers are fitted all the way to the V6, I don't think anyone's messed with them really, they're good at rusting the disk so they're probably underused by most people. Obviously we've never got into what else will fit, the need just hasn't arisen.

Yep, the handbrakes are crap. If they're properly adjusted and have the right material (not the shoes you get from a motor factors that also fit a tiny Fiat :roll: ) they do kind of work. I asked about a hydraulic conversion many moons ago and was immediately shot down, not MOT-able apparently. Unless the rules changed since then...
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
hullcitytilidie
1.8 8v

Many thanks for that Steve. I'll spend next money on the remap, egr and dpf deletes etc. then! Best regards.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I agree with Steve

The rear brakes ( as with most cars ) only do about 25% of the cars braking so the fronts are the important ones.

I've had numerous 406s, and apart from the one I currently own they have all had terrible handbrakes that need constant attention - but once sorted it'll be fine.
The odd drive with the handbrake slightly on will get rid of the film that forms on the shoes.

The remap, de-egr and dpf delete will transform your car, no question. If you haven't got s remap yet, please consider asking Srdan ( from the Coupe forum ) to do a custom one - it's a little dearer but we'll worth it for the driving sensation.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
cwhaley
1.8 8v

Post by cwhaley »

Glad it's not just me noticing the poor handbrake. I don't think an MOT has every mentioned it, but it really has to be pulled up to maximum height to achieve good holding (and I'm the person who puts the car in gear and never leaves the handbrake on. I keep meaning to tighten the cable but I'm worried this will just stretch it.

I have a much older car from the '60s and with that, I can adjust the efficiency of it by turning an adjuster on the rear slave cylinders. Provided the shoes are good and the cable's not stretched it works perfect.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

When you adjust the handbrake via the rear drum in disc affair - you are simply* widening the adjuster so the shoes are closer to the drum - the cable isn't touched.

There is a guide here on the Knowledge Base about doing it in a proper order, but I've only ever adjusted the, er, adjuster.....

Your rear calipers are probably seized too, so you may as well squirt some plastilube under the sheathes while you are there.....
hullcitytilidie
1.8 8v

GingerMagic wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:57 pm I agree with Steve

The rear brakes ( as with most cars ) only do about 25% of the cars braking so the fronts are the important ones.

I've had numerous 406s, and apart from the one I currently own they have all had terrible handbrakes that need constant attention - but once sorted it'll be fine.
The odd drive with the handbrake slightly on will get rid of the film that forms on the shoes.

The remap, de-egr and dpf delete will transform your car, no question. If you haven't got s remap yet, please consider asking Srdan ( from the Coupe forum ) to do a custom one - it's a little dearer but we'll worth it for the driving sensation.
Thanks Kelv, I appreciate that. Just a thought but would you do any work on the exhaust before the tune? I have seen mention of a wider, straight through needed? Regards Geoff.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

I never bothered when I did mine - you'll only gain around 40 - 50 bhp with the remap etc over a standard set up.
I don't think it's necessary unless you want to go for much bigger power gains, or indeed your current exhaust needs changing anyway.....
hullcitytilidie
1.8 8v

Thanks for that buddy, I appreciate all your help. Geoff.
cwhaley
1.8 8v

Post by cwhaley »

GingerMagic wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:27 pm When you adjust the handbrake via the rear drum in disc affair - you are simply* widening the adjuster so the shoes are closer to the drum - the cable isn't touched.

There is a guide here on the Knowledge Base about doing it in a proper order, but I've only ever adjusted the, er, adjuster.....

Your rear calipers are probably seized too, so you may as well squirt some plastilube under the sheathes while you are there.....
I'll check that out. It sounds the same principle as what I'd do to my Singer (the adjuster pushes one of the shoes further out towards the lining of the drum.

I do wonder if my calipers are seized for two reasons. One.. once off the throttle in traffic, the car will roll to a stop and hold itself even on small slopes -- it just doesn't feel 'free' to roll.Two... I washed the car after a 8 mile run on Saturday and the rear brakes were steaming. May be normal, but I've never seen it after such a short run before.

EDIT -- just looked at the article. Will be doing it this Friday.
PhillipM
1.8 16v

Post by PhillipM »

Happens a lot, either the calipers stick or the discs rust/pit where the handbrake is and then the handbrake goes to sh*t and they drag as well.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

I ran 406's for about 10 years and always found the brakes adequate, the only problem was the handbrake, I found the cure for this just before I sold my last one. You need to remove all the 'slop' from the rear cables, having set the wheel adjusters, adjust the rear splitter until there is only just enough movement to release the brakes, this will lower the handbrake lever and enable you to get more purchase on it.

Peter