Can you name this part?

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

benlowlew
1.8 16v

Can you name this part?

Post by benlowlew »

Hi,
Went to drive off yesterday evening and the steering went heavy and then noticed power steering fluid all over the drive and engine bay. On inspection today I have found where the fluid is leaking from but I dont know what the part is called, how easy it is to fit, cost of said part etc. As you can see from the picture, where the blue plug is, just further down a bit looks as though it has corroded away and thats where it is leaking. Any help/suggestions greatly received. Its a 2001 1.8 petrol.
lozz
3.0 24v

Re: Can you name this part?

Post by lozz »

Power steering sensor, ithink there called,
perhaps peugeot name them something differnt :frown:

looks like that ones Fractured, some Jb weld wouid do the trick on that :roll:

You might strugle getting that off,
looks like someones had a go at it before,
benlowlew
1.8 16v

Post by benlowlew »

Been trying the metal repair and just keeps leaking out. Now it wont even start!! Looks as though it could be time to move it on for spares as was looking to change it anyway and only offered only £300 trade in!!
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

Metal repair?

what was it call what you used,

iknow for a fact jB weld will Harden like steel even on items that get coated in oil,

Pwr steering problem shouidnt cause a none starting problem , :?
benlowlew
1.8 16v

Post by benlowlew »

I used metal epoxy putty. Does the same thing according to the description. The engine turns but really struggles to catch so I dont know if something has got soaked by the power steering fluid causing it not to fire up.
lozz
3.0 24v

Post by lozz »

benlowlew wrote:I used metal epoxy putty. Does the same thing according to the description. The engine turns but really struggles to catch so I dont know if something has got soaked by the power steering fluid causing it not to fire up.
Its crap mate, it wont set near oil,

Jb weld will tho, leave it and hour or so and it will go like iron, :roll:

id spray all the conectors in the area of the oil as sprayed perhaps something as got soaked,

(Try unplugging the blue plug on the sensor, see if it fires up , dont run it too long if it does tho :roll:
benlowlew
1.8 16v

Post by benlowlew »

All fixed. Chipped all the crap metal putty away. Went to the scrappy and got a sensor off a 206CC for a fiver. That solved the leak. The starting issue proved to be the plugs. 3 of the plugs were coated in oil (another leak somewhere). Cleaned that up and she started albeit with a bit of smoke but that soon cleared. Then the rear box fell off so that was patched up with a metal tube and all clamped together. Not spending a fortune on it as its on its way very soon!
406Kris
1.8 16v

Post by 406Kris »

Gimme a shout when you thinking of getting rid mate, I may have some parts from it if you sell as spares

Cheers
Kris
406 1.8L 2002