How do i adjust handbrake?

Shocks, springs, anything to do with the running gear

Moderator: Moderators

jason1987
3.0 24v

How do i adjust handbrake?

Post by jason1987 »

i think my mot said something about the handbrake only using 33% of its force or something, and ive noticed when i try do a handbrake turn sometimes lol only one wheel locks up, and that hardly locks up either. how can i adjust it all or replace shoes?
mjb
Site Admin

Re: How do i adjust handbrake?

Post by mjb »

buy a different make of car.

406 handbrakes are useless, probably due to the awful thin tin backplate they're mounted on
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
trem1
3.0 24v

Post by trem1 »

HAAA a handbrake turn in a 406 :roll: :roll: Even Geordieboy couldnt manage those :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: yea its an old joke but theres still some around who might remember

2004 Iron Grey 407se 136bhp......Written Off
2006 Moonstone blue 407 se 136 bhp.....Written off
2006 silver 407 SW..........replacement
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

my handbrake just didnt work at all, luckily the handbrake is something i treat as a luxury feature in a car, even in my executive, so putting the car in gear and keeping a brick in the boot worked well for a while, but then i had a read at the haynes manual and tackled the problem, the whole centre console had to come out, then i had to tighten a nut beside the handbrake lever, i actually took apart the centre console to connect the extra 12v sockets i had put in under the seats to the main 12v socket in the centre console. Anyhow now the handbrake works fine and the 406 can do handbrake turns but it just doesnt feel right in a 406, but then a handbrake turn doesnt feel right in a massey ferguson but it still has to be done when the opportunity arises.
chrisfinlay
1.8 16v

Post by chrisfinlay »

when I park my car and put the handbrake on, especially on a hill, and then come off the footbrake, the car seems to "settle" onto the handbrake - it may roll forward or back a bit then stop. It's only a cm or so but it sure gives the passengers a fright!
1999 (D8) 406, 2.0L HDi.
FarmerPug
2.0 HDI 110

Post by FarmerPug »

i changed all the disks and handbrake shoes in my car as well as the hanbrake cables, now it works
teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Post by teamster1975 »

I think the cables are the clincher, they were the last thing I replaced when they should have been the first :roll:
The joys of buying a 13 year old car!
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
DiscoPol
Shiny New C5 2.2 Bi-turbo!

Post by DiscoPol »

i tried adjusting my Handbrake cables about 3 months ago and snapped em :oops:

first gear is soooo much better than pugs standard handbrake :cheesy: ,

luckily its very flat round Warsaw and the local area, something to do with it being the Masovian Plain area,
but just cant bring myself to climb under there again in this bloody heat, if i decide to keep the old girl i might have a crack at it, otherwise its being flogged sans handbrake.

Polski
Welly wrote:Well butter my arse!