Credit crunch Project 2.0 16va va voom

Post pictures here! Host them in the gallery or at another online hosting site like photobucket.com
Chaz
2.0 16v

Re: Credit crunch Project 2.0 16va va voom

Post by Chaz »

Ive just tried to adjust the wife's Pug 2.0 cable and when the car started to roll forward (long story) I janked it up and snapped the cable.

Ive now removed the handbrake inside the car and got the cable out. The actual unit where it goes into the car (plastic thing) is still there. The cable I pulled out what cos the end crimp snapped off so the sheathing is still in place.

How do I remove this? Is there something to take off and push it back down out of the car? I suspect this is teh case from looking how teh cable comes. The rear cable going to the left hand wheel looks ok - need to take off the bit that is snapped. The other one which has the 'set screw' is fairly rusted but I suspect it will be OK. How difficult / worth it is it to replace the rear ends? Also - how / where did you adjust them?

This seems to be the replacement -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peugeot-406-Front ... 286.c0.m14

Hope no nasty surprises. The plate at the rear's bolts have snapped off - rusted. So much for the MOT planned for tomorrow .....
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

Hows it goin chaz. unlucky fella. Right im not 2 sure where your cable has snapped. Theres three cables. the one from the handle down to the wee plastic bit at the rear. And then theres one that goes off to the driver side and another one off to the passanger side.

Im guessing the wee silver bit circled red there has snaped off and then your left with the the bt circled green left on the cars shell. If this is the case, it is just sorta wedged in. Just give that a knock out with a hammer as it comes on the new cable. If thats the only bit it has snapped then that cable in the link will do the job.

Ive never replaced the other two cables so im not sure how hard they are to replace. When i got the bolt out i just sprayed loads of wd40 on it and cleaned the tread using the old nut before putting it into the new one.

As for ajusting them its very hard to explain unless you see the adjuster with the disk off. If i mind right on the passanger side it is around the 10 o'clock mark, so if you turn the disk until the hole in the disk is there and then using a flat headed screw driver turn the screw on the adjuster until the disks can no longer turn and then turn the adjuster back a nick or two. then do the other side. Then do the other side (adjuster about 2 oclock) and then hook all the cables up and adjust the big bolt thats in the plastic bit of the new cable.

Im not great at explaining these things but i hope that helps you, and good luck with the mot. :)
Chaz
2.0 16v

Post by Chaz »

Hi Mate,

No, the long main cable as snapped at the rear.

The other ones are OK. The question is how to remove the main cable from the car. I have teh handbrake out and the inner cable pulled out as the ferrule on the end was snapped off. How do I get the main 'outer' casing of the cable out from the area where it goes into the car near the handbrake?

Thanks
Chaz
2.0 16v

Post by Chaz »

Thanks, hadnt read your full reply - Ill try to just wedge that piece out. Now just need to find someone who can supply a cable ASAP. Any ideas for reliable delivery, even if not the cheapest cable?
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

aaaah i know what you mean now. Yea just knock it out! As for a new one it all depends on where you are. I got mine in my local motor factors for £10 I think. Got it there and then so it was handy enough.
Chaz
2.0 16v

Post by Chaz »

Thanks. Wife phoned the MOT place and they said to bring it in. Charged around £20 for the cable and around £30 for the labour and it passed its MOT. A bit surprising considering the exhaust is leaking and about to fall off. Oh well, saves me a bit of time to source a cable and install.
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

Well everyone I sort of forgot about this progress thread. The car has been finished and on the road now for a month so I thought it was time I pulled the finger out and get this updated lol. :lol:

Because its been a while since the last update so I have a few pics gathered up for a decent post.

1st up is a wee update pic on the front end with the splitter and mesh on…

I got a spoiler last year for a good price and was going to repair it and put it on the tubby. I fixed it just using isopon but it cracked soon after so took it off soon after and it lay in the garage. I came across it again and the plan was to repair it properly this time. I started with grinding off my previous handywork, :doh: and then filled and fiber glassed the crack on both sides.

After spending the time doing this I realized I didn’t really like the way it sat on the car anyway and wanted something a bit different to all these other 406s popping up. So after offering it up to the rear window I decided id save the £80 it costs for a new window spoiler and make my own. Ill just let the pics to the speaking from here as they are pretty self explanatory.

After a lot of measuring, templates and a touch of grinding…

Some more measuring...

Now to make it blend in and more like a roof spoiler…

Then a lot of time filling and sanding to get both sides the same…

After hours of sanding wee bits at a time, to get the end pieces and the edges just right it was finally ready for painting…

Another wee job I had to do was fill the dent in the door. This happens when the door strap breaks and the door swings too far and hit the bolt securing the hinge. (another common problem on the 406) This had been ‘repaired’ badly before as there was a perfect off white rectangle where someone had simply painted over the dent in the wrong colour. I removed as much of this paint as I could using ‘Tcut’ and then filled the hole.

Ready for painting…

Engine bay clean up

What started with swapping the battery over to get it started turned into a few other wee jobs. I decided to take out the battery box to dump the leaves and things and give it a clean. To do this I had to take off the air box , and thought I have gone this far I mite as well check out the other hoses and make sure they aren’t clogged up. Lol So gave them a good clean as well. I then cleaned up the bracket that hold the air box and gave the metal tray in the battery box a lick of paint to tidy it up.

Well that’s all the bodywork done for now and the car is away being painted at the minute. So Hopefully have it finished and on the road for next week :woohoo:
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

Heres pics of the car since its been finished!

a reminder of how I got it...

And how she is now...

I was bored and had nothing to do one night there so I decided to try out a few night pics. Its alot harder than i thot to get good pics. I suppose a better camera with a wide lens etc. would produce some better ones, and alot of practice. lol. Il throw them up anyways. :D

HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

Good work there fella. I like the ingenuity of changing a boot spoiler for a rear window spoiler! :mrgreen: You not fancy doing white mask mods to the headlights? Be a bit different to both standard and black mask ones. I did this once on a 405 and it looked mint. One thing I want to do to mine is to delock the boot as the badge/button is quite large really.

How low is your car, and are you running it without rear springs again? :lol:

Other than that, I do like your car and followed your guide to doing the debadged bumper and grill mod. I may steal your rear window guide too yet! :wink:
Image Image
'98 2.1TD Executive Daily Drive........................................'94 309 Goodwood Project Car
ddoherty406
2.0 16v

Post by ddoherty406 »

Thanks very much for the comment. What are the mask mods like? i dont think ive seen them before, I probably have but just cant recall them, get pics up of the 405, im curious now. aha :lol: The delocked boot would be a great mod, theres a how to guide on the 406 coupe forum. :wink: I was already examining my mates focus estate to see if the system out of it could be used.

As for the springs, I simply cut two coils from the bottom of the of the rear springs and that way it sits just as low however everything is tighter and it doesnt bump around just as much. It also saves te shocks as they arent bottoming out. :wink: The front has 2 and a half off them. Its a very bumpy drive still, but not as bad as it was with no springs. :)

Ive been following your thread too, and really like the colour of yours. :mrgreen: I must get a look at it to see what else youve done recently as I havent read it in a while.
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

To do a boot popper for the rear boot is really easy. I've done it before on my old 405's a few times now. Basically, you remove the locking mechanism, and then simply mount a standard central locking motor so that it can open and close the latch for the boot. Run an earth and a 12V switched live to the solenoid and jobsagoodun. The boot doesn't need to lock anymore as there is no way of undoing it from the outside anyway. BTW, the below car had the above solenoid boot popper device installed...

White masks on the old 405:

Image Image
'98 2.1TD Executive Daily Drive........................................'94 309 Goodwood Project Car