Milkybars LX...

Post pictures here! Host them in the gallery or at another online hosting site like photobucket.com
milkybar
1.8 16v

Milkybars LX...

Post by milkybar »

Well after having the car for a week now I've taken a few days to bring it to its former glory. The car has only had 1 owner but the last year has left it sat in a garage due to the owners ill health.
I went to my local dealer last week and ordered the following at a cost of £147
-New 'peugeot' '406' and 'LX' badges
-New number plates
-SP exhaust trim pipe
-207 s wheel trims
-207gt stubby aerial
-207 s chrome/leather gearknob
-tax disc holder
And of course the '406oc' club stickers thanks to Dai!

As you can see shes in a sorry state.. this simply will not do! Its all there just under some faded paintwork and grime

Started on the inside..

Stripped the dash

Washed everything that came off in soapy water scrubbed the seats and dash and re-assembled fitting new overmats

Due to the weather I thought it wise to machine polish the car... I run a bodyshop so brought all the most expensive compounds we buy and brought them home along with a 10 speed machine polisher to save the arms

'Say hello to my little friend!!!'

Started with a 3rd stage compound on the machine.. removes all small scratches and flattens bringing colour back.
Then stage 2.. a fine compound bringing the shine back and fills and smaller scratches

The stage 3 leaves swirls in the laquer so needs hand waxing

After... Gold top wax by hand twice then polish. any good??

Repeat on boot lid..

Finishing on the doors and wings especially around the handles... hey its me

3pm and the heavens open... oh well i've sat in the garage tightening the accellerator cable and removing the front and rear lamps so I can polish inside the panel lips. i'll finish it tomorrow and post the pics up. I've got the engine cleaner and i'll use that also on the inner arches after removing the wheels 2 be cleaned

I'll update tomorrow night if i'm not dead!! :lol:

All the parts should have landed in the morning so they will be fitted also,
Image MilkyBars are on me!!
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Re: Milkybars LX...

Post by HimBigChief »

Blimey, good work! I've got one of them machine polisher things, but haven't used it as of yet. :oops: I've only had the thing 10 bloody years!

That should be one nice 406 once all your parts have landed and you've got them all on. Keep the pics coming.
Image Image
'98 2.1TD Executive Daily Drive........................................'94 309 Goodwood Project Car
Sisson
1.8 16v

Post by Sisson »

Good start.

Not keen on your polishing methods... Putting more swirls in! :shock: Surely you should be polishing them out not putting more in!

What did you do to the accelerator cable? Mine doesnt feel like its getting 100% throttle till i properly plant the pedal through the carpet....
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

That's impressive MB 8)
If you get bored, you could practice on mine....
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
milkybar
1.8 16v

Post by milkybar »

Sisson wrote:Good start.

Not keen on your polishing methods... Putting more swirls in! :shock: Surely you should be polishing them out not putting more in!

What did you do to the accelerator cable? Mine doesnt feel like its getting 100% throttle till i properly plant the pedal through the carpet....
The pics show the swirls but that is wat the second stage looks like... That's wat happens wen you flat the paint. See pic of bonnet half done and doors. That's wat it looks like done.. Not swirly!!
eoin27
The Irish 406 addict

Post by eoin27 »

Looking forward to the finished product. Just a suggestion......you might throw in a couple of dash bulbs into your MFD. It looks a bit dim. The left and middle one appear to be out
2000 D9 Coupé 2.0 SE EW10J4 Scarlet Red - 5 litres of oil gone in 500 miles!!! Time for a new coupe me thinks
milkybar
1.8 16v

Post by milkybar »

eoin27 wrote:Looking forward to the finished product. Just a suggestion......you might throw in a couple of dash bulbs into your MFD. It looks a bit dim. The left and middle one appear to be out
Damn you eagle eyed b@$tard!!!!!

Just picked this up on ebay... bargain I think?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/peugeot-406-saloo ... 7C294%3A50
milkybar
1.8 16v

Post by milkybar »

Sisson wrote: What did you do to the accelerator cable? Mine doesnt feel like its getting 100% throttle till i properly plant the pedal through the carpet....
The acceleration was weak to say the least and when you revved the car it seemed to pick up slowly.. :cry: :cry: when I inspected it the cable was slack!

Its easy to adjust though.. under the bonnet, the tube the cable slides in is anchored to the head, at this point his you will see a couple of inches of exposed cable.. the end of the tube is 'slotted' and has a cir clip holding it in place, pull out the clip and pull the tube back towards the windscreen, the exposed section of the cable will go tight (do not put any over tension on the cable.. just so its not slack thats all) push the clip back through and and a squirt of WD40 and hey presto!

I can sneeze near the pedal now and it revs up like a racing car!! :cheesy:
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Oooo....Shiney 8) :cheesy:

Keep the updates coming....
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
mjb
Site Admin

Post by mjb »

eoin27 wrote:Just a suggestion......you might throw in a couple of dash bulbs into your MFD. It looks a bit dim. The left and middle one appear to be out
I was thinking a radiator grille might be a bit higher on his shopping list :shock: :cheesy:
<steve_earwig> I think this forum is more about keeping our cars going with minimal outlay than giving our cars more reason to go bang
milkybar
1.8 16v

Post by milkybar »

The grille was removed while the paintwork was flatted... Compound is a nightmare to get out of those little holes :wink:
eoin27
The Irish 406 addict

Post by eoin27 »

You must do a 'How to' when you get finished. I'd be very interested in doing a similar job to my car when i get a few serious scratches put right by professionals.
2000 D9 Coupé 2.0 SE EW10J4 Scarlet Red - 5 litres of oil gone in 500 miles!!! Time for a new coupe me thinks
milkybar
1.8 16v

Post by milkybar »

Rain Rain Rain!!!! all my parts have landed so that made my day anyway... gonna use my parents double garage tomorrow no-matter wat the weather is to get it completed as my hallway looks like a peugeot trade counter, or so my missus says!

I glazed all the panel seams and re-fitted the lamps and grille anyway today so it wasn't wasted altogether and even in the rain its starting to look stunning... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks for the v.nice comments anyway.

Adam
milkybar
1.8 16v

Re: Milkybars LX... new pics

Post by milkybar »

Ok... i'm 90% there with the car.

After being sat looking out the window at the rain I got a friend to give me his garage for the day to finish... so, I took some pics on the grass next to his house. I say its 90% done as the tailpipe trim came wrong, the 'peugeot' badge didn't come and nor didthe stubby aerial!! Dealers... useless!!

not the best pics but i couldn't take the chance on going to get my camera... it would have rained!!!

Hope you get the jist of it anyway.... that took some sweat!!!!

Adam
highlander
PowerFlow Shill

Post by highlander »

Nice and shiny, mate! 8)

Thought the LXs all came with climate control, as mine has it (and mine is almost exactly the same age as yours - November 1999).
2002 (D9) Peugeot 406 Coupe SE, 2.2 litre Petrol. Scarlet Red/Rouge Ecarlate/Rosso Scarlatto. Black Leather interior. SOLD :(
2008 (E60 LCI) BMW 525i M-Sport, 3.0 litre Petrol. Carbonschwarz Metallic. Black Dakota Leather and Myrtlewood interior.