My White 406 progress thread

Post pictures here! Host them in the gallery or at another online hosting site like photobucket.com
darragh

My White 406 progress thread

Post by darragh »

Hey folks for any one that cares or that knows me they know that this has been coming for a long time, lol! Any one that knows me knows that I have a love for 406s simply because they are economical cars, comfortable to drive, cheap to buy, cheap for parts and I like the look of them. Also the fact that im studying and living in the holylands in weeknights means I don’t want to bring a good car down incase it gets damaged. Been driving and selling away at them for ages now and have had more than my fair share of them lol and have never been let down by one yet, think there a great run about.

So I was on eBay one night when I seen a 03 car at the right money which I won in an auction. (Needed to buy one younger that 01 to transfer personal reg onto). The car was an 03 moonstone blue one which was one of my favourite Peugeot colours. Me my woman and my mate went over on the boat the next morning as a passenger with ulsterbus which drove from stranraer to Glasgow and I picked up the car and drove home and was back in Ireland that night.

Few pics of the blue one which i took today(very dirty in the pictures)

I bought a set of alloys from a mate for handy money that needed a wee lick of paint and got the tyres stripped and the rims rubbed down and undercoated.

Drove away at the car since September, and said that I would put the alloys on it after the winter was over as I couldn’t be bothered having to respray them if they got damaged by salt in the winter.

Was on bebo one day when I seen a picture of this Audi which I thought was totally amazing looking, and thought that if I had a white 406 I could do something similar without having to spend a large amount of money on a run about

So I then set about looking for a white hdi 406, looked on eBay and Autotrader websites for weeks to I found one at the right money. Found one in Manchester that was only five minutes away from my uncle who lived in that area. So he went and viewed the car for me and placed a deposit on it for me and I sent a bankers draft out the next day and got the car delivered to the boat in Liverpool by my uncle a few days later when the draft cleared,

Got a few wee pictures of the car today as I only got around to giving it a quick wash.

teamster1975
Site Admin & Mad Biker!

Re: My White 406 progress thread

Post by teamster1975 »

Welcome Darragh! :D
That's a lot of Pugs in your driveway! 8)
1996 406 1.8LX Got a bad case of hydro lock!
1996 406 Executive 2.0 Turbo XU10J2TE No longer hangin' on in there :(
1997 Honda CB500V
2003 Volvo V40 1.8 GDi SE killed by a nutter in a beemer 5 series
2008 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium X

"Always look on the bright side of life, dedo, dedo dedodedo"
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Hello & welcome, Darragh 8)
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
eoin27
The Irish 406 addict

Post by eoin27 »

Welcome Darragh, Good to have another Paddy here! I'm from limerick but live in dublin. Where u at? Nice pugs, I'm mad about the white ones too (Taxi movies) and it would look lovely after a bit of a cleanup. The bonnet is a bit mishapen. Was it in a bit of a tip? Whats with all the UK 6's? Are you in the trade?
2000 D9 Coupé 2.0 SE EW10J4 Scarlet Red - 5 litres of oil gone in 500 miles!!! Time for a new coupe me thinks
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Hi there Darragh, welcome to you and your fleet :cheesy:
darragh wrote:...cheap for parts...
Am I missing something? :shock:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Welly
The moderator formally known as Welton

Post by Welly »

Is it me or does the white one not look that straight at the front end?

You must *really* like 406's fella :mrgreen:
Cars in my care:
2021 Kia Spottage 1.6 Pez Turbo Dual Clutch Gearbox Trickery
2013 Renner Twingo - donkey work
nimike
1.8 16v

Post by nimike »

Welton wrote:Is it me or does the white one not look that straight at the front end?
Aye the gaps between the panels dont look consistent.
darragh

Post by darragh »

ya i do a bit of trading, the car got a bonnet replaced on it at some stage. the person who fitted the bonnet really was not that good at his job at all. so im going to take the bonnet off the car and readjust it at the hinges. should straighten the gaps and lines up nicely.

im from armagh myself and think that the pugs espically 406s are a great car!
darragh

Post by darragh »

The car needs a wee bit of tidying few scrapes here and there bit I was lucky enough to have the scrapes in the right places, i.e. the places that would need repainted black any way. At some stage some god dam cat must have had a jig on the roof of the car and scratched the hell clean out of it. I was going to get it done in vinyl but priced it and it worked out as much as getting the roof painted.

A few pics of the scrapped roof

Also the car must have been to big for some driver and the clipped the wing mirror (must have been a woman driver! Joking!) but this will also be painted black anyway

darragh

Post by darragh »

As said above I got the alloys of a mate of mine with good tyres on them, they are 18” dare v2s and they needed a lick of painting as they were all kerbed. So I rubbed them al down and gave them a good undercoating

I was unsure as to what colour I wanted to paint them i.e. white or like some shade of anthracite. I loved the wheels that were on the picture of the Audi above so I decided that I would try doing them similar to them

Started of by painting the inside of the spokes black

All of the alloys painted with the inside black

The next stage of the painting was the most difficult and time consuming as it took ages to mask over the black and I had to be very careful not to miss any of it or else it would have got covered in white.

The next stage then was to paint the rest of the rim white. This was done with transit van white 2pac paint with a bit of thinner added to it.

The next stage then was to peel the masking tape of and hopefully reveal the black paint which I had done prior

Pictures of the alloys with the masking tape removed

I still have to lacquer the alloys and I need to get new stickers made for the centre pieces in black as the ones I have at the minute are silver and will not match the rims
HimBigChief
3.0 24v

Post by HimBigChief »

I need to get new stickers made for the centre pieces in black as the ones I have at the minute are silver and will not match the rims
Why not just spray the centre caps black aswell? Saves on getting new ones.

It's coming along nicely now. I'm also doing a similar thing to you with my 406 (see link in my signature).
Image Image
'98 2.1TD Executive Daily Drive........................................'94 309 Goodwood Project Car
eoin27
The Irish 406 addict

Post by eoin27 »

You don't hang about mate eh?

That 406 is gonna look savage. Are you painting the roof and mirrors black????
2000 D9 Coupé 2.0 SE EW10J4 Scarlet Red - 5 litres of oil gone in 500 miles!!! Time for a new coupe me thinks
darragh

Post by darragh »

Right bit of an update here folks, sorry its taken so long. One of the site members from jon44w had a 406 leather interior for sale on here a few weeks back and I went and looked at the interior and ending up taking the whole car of him.

Started into stripping the interior which was in great condition apart from a rip in the back of the drivers headrest and the drivers arm rest missing. Got a new one sorted already and leaving it and the headrest away to get recovered.

Interior in the old 406 dirty as the cars been sitting up for months

Then started to take it out.

Interior getting taken out and my new seat

The horrible interior that was in my white 406, the ugliest set of seats that I have ever seen in any Peugeot

The old seats out and the new ones in.

The finished job

interior needs a good clean now that i have gotten it fitted, and im having a bit of trouble with the wiring of the drivers seat (which ive mentioned in the electrical part of the forum) but i have however managed to get the seat comfortably fitted and adjusted to my drive postition to i manage to get the problem sorted. i will have more pics added in the coming weeks as i have all of the parts sprayed and just to get get them fitted which i will do when i get time

More to follow, thanks for looking Darragh
ECA
1.8 16v

Post by ECA »

Looking good fella :D coming along very nicely

Wouldnt mind a leather interior for mine
Eclipse Car Audio
http://www.eclipsecaraudio.co.uk

52 Reg 406 Rapier HDI estate
09 reg Vauxhall Astra Design 1.7 CDTI EFX
S Reg Ford Fiesta Van
eoin27
The Irish 406 addict

Post by eoin27 »

Hey. Cannot wait to see how it ends up. You're gonna lose the side airbags with the new interior tho. I agree, the old one was crap. It shouldn't be too hard to source an armrest and headrest.