406 LX 2.0 HDI

Post pictures here! Host them in the gallery or at another online hosting site like photobucket.com
Coakers
1.6 8v

406 LX 2.0 HDI

Post by Coakers »

Bought this gem today for the bargain amount of £380 to replace my Berlingo (dont judge me). Its a 3 owner car, garaged most its life. Mot july 2019. 123,000 miles ish. I start a new job tomorrow so I needed something pronto. We had a 406 in the family 10-15 years ago so i spent most of my late teens in one. I know the 2.0hdi's are pretty much bullet proof. My berlingo had the same engine and was on 190k and was still going strong until it was scrapped today due to the rear axle bearings going, clutch going and the electrics playing up constantly. Enough waffling here it is.

I'll get some better pictures tomorrow.

Heres my other car.

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v

However I'm reaching calling it a car at the minute.
The thread for that headache can be found here.

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/ ... ild?page=1

So yeh I am into my cars and i will hopefully be looking forwards to a long future with the 406.
Coakers
1.6 8v

Re: 406 LX 2.0 HDI

Post by Coakers »

Day 2 of 406 ownership. Oil, filter and air filter change.

A few randomly placed mists of oil dotted around rhe engine bay. It is an 18 year old car mind. I used Wynns engine flush as well. The oil filter was definitely not giving up without a fight. Probably the toughest one I've ever had to remove!

Theres a worn bearing noise from the alternator pully. So something to sort in the near future. The biting point is fairly high. There was no service history with it so a cambelt/waterpump change is on the cards. I've done this before on the berlingo.
Doggy
Mod with a 2.2 HDi, De-Fapped!

Post by Doggy »

Welcome aboard. 8)
Looks OK for the money.
I'd suggest swapping the pollen filter too - cheap but make a big difference to the ventilation if it's been allowed to clog up.
Many of them have a high biting point, doesn't necessarily mean it will be a problem.
Alternator pulley has an integral clutch, we've heard of a few giving problems. Maybe grab another from a scrappy?
You can safely run the engine without the aux drive belt if helps trace the noise, (only drives alternator steering pump and a/c compressor).
Enjoy the site.
2002 HDi 2.2 Exec Estate, (2008-12) (wonderful)
2003 HDi 2.2 6-speed Exec Estate (2012-19) (also a gem)
2009 Citroen C5 2.0 HDi VTR+ Estate (godawful heap)
2008 BMW E91 330i touring (great fun - murdered by a reversing SUV)
2007 BMW E91 325i touring (slower smoother quieter)
Coakers
1.6 8v

Post by Coakers »

Thanks mate this is sound advice, I'll pick up a pollen filter later on this week. I'm sure there are plenty of guides out there on changing it. Cheers
Coakers
1.6 8v

Post by Coakers »

Ha found a picture of the old 406 that we had in my teens. 2002 - 2006 ish. A 1.8 petrol rapier, Also a Y reg. Which almost unbelievably has been on the road as recently as this year. MOT expired Sept 2018.

Last edited by Coakers on Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coakers
1.6 8v

Post by Coakers »

First hiccup tonight. Was happily driving along when my foot went practically to the floor with no throttle pedal resistance at all! I probably got 2000 rpm with my foot to the floor.

A little look under the bonnet

Can you spot it??

Apparently its quite common for these tension clips to fling off, not the best design. It was recommended that a cable tie loosely tied around the clip and the cable will avoid it going missing should it fling off again.

Also changed the pollen filter.

I have to say that this car feels slower than the berlingo did, dispite it having the same engine. It also struggles in 5th at 30 -35mph. The berlingo had no problem with these speeds.

Quick look on Ultimatespecs reveals
Citroen Berlingo 2.0hdi - curb weight = 1286kg
Peugeot 406 2.0hdi - curb weight = 1385kg

But its so much more quieter and comfortable. It is a relaxing place to be tbh
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Hi, and a belated welcome from me.

Your motor looks alright to me, and as said the 406 is a lot of car for the money.

That throttle clip is a right pain - it's always the first thing I check when doing a diagnostic on a 406 - I used to carry a spare one slid under the rubber bonnet stop :cheesy:

As for performance, my first 406 was a 90 and although it was sprightly enough round town, it struggled on the bypass - whereas our Picasso has the 90 engine and is way quicker than the old 406. The Peugeot had a Siemens fuel system, the Citroen has a Bosch - maybe that's the difference? You can get a remap for about £100 which will give you around 120bhp - which is better for the performance, economy and driveability 8)

Anyway, enjoy the car - keep on top of the niggles and it'll serve you well.

Kelv
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
PeterN
3.0 24v

Post by PeterN »

Good job. 406's seem to be getting very thin on the ground now, we have just returned from a 2,500 mile trip around Scotland and Yorkshire and I didn't see one in all that distance. There are a few for sale on tinternet but when you cross reference them its a number of firms advertising the same cars. There are one or two at silly prices but nothing that I would buy.

Peter
Coakers
1.6 8v

Post by Coakers »

Thanks for the interest guys and I've read up on hdi tuning i was going to go for one of them maps for my berlingo. Its true they are getting thin on the ground. I see one or two on my travels but there arent many cars with 'proper' regs on the road any more.

Alls not well though. I've got a suspected boost leak. Its had an erratic idle when cold for a while but whats most noticable is the plume of black smoke when putting my foot down. I changed the MAF sensor but that didn't solve it. Heres a video

[youtube]https://youtu.be/l1jo1I3EL3E[/youtube]
I dont really have the equipment to check for boost leaks so might book it into a garage.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Yours is the Hdi90, which is a mechanical controlled waste gate on the turbo - no complicated vacuum leaks or intercooler on your engine, so boost leaks are easy to spot but also quite unusual...

Have you blanked your EGR valve - this will help the black smoke in future ( the EGR is exhaust gas recirculation, it takes dirty* exhaust and puts it back into the engine for a second burn ) This process is fine on petrol cars but not in a diesel.
You should have one solenoid on the bulkhead, blue plug I think, follow the little pipe from the front of it to the flying saucer shape on the manifold - unplug this pipe from that end and bung a screw into the pipe to seal the vacuum.

Hdi tuning are a reputable company, Steve is the guy that runs it and he is a good man, however you need to see if you have a Siemens ECU or a Bosch one, as this makes a difference..
rwb
3.0 24v

Post by rwb »

This is a Bosch because no priming bulb.

Can it be DIY mapped via the OBD port?

EGR disable highly recommended. Just pull and bung the vacuum supply to the electrovalve on the bulkhead.

Current: 407 2.2 HDi 170 & C6 2.7 HDi.
Former: 406 1.9 TD; 406 HDi 90; 407 2.2 160; 307cc 180; 508 HDi 140.
Map of PeugeotForums users offering PP2k
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Well spotted Rich, should be easy enough to Flash a new map onto it - Hdi tuning should be able to to supply a remap giving you about 120bhp.
beko1987
1.6 8v

Post by beko1987 »

Despite having just bought an estate, the saloon does look prettier!
Coakers
1.6 8v

Post by Coakers »

Got another video of how unhappy this thing is when its cold and idling.

https://youtu.be/VKN42cmlyDA

Thanks for interest and the advice guys, really does help. I wish I had seen this before I started looking for split pipes today I had some (not a lot) of time today so I just started seeing how difficult it was to 'get to' the EGR.

Very sooty, I bought the blanking plate but I'll look for the vacuum pipe described and block it off.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Looking at your bottom picture...
The part you have undone is the heat exchanger - the EGR is closed when the engine is cold and the hot exhaust travels along this before going into the engine to heat the coolant water quicker. ( You can just see the coolant pipe underneath and clearly see the other one on top.)
You can see how much crap is in there - this will eventually choke the engine as the pathway gets smaller and smaller..

You can also see the blue plug on the solenoid attached to the bulkhead - this controls the EGR - if you follow the braided type black pipe from here to the EGR itself, you can unplug this one and bung it up..! This effectively blanks it, as without vacuum it can't open.
However, there is no harm in fitting a blanking plate in the place you have opened as if the EGR is stuck partially open, this should fix it.