406 LX 2.0 HDI

Post pictures here! Host them in the gallery or at another online hosting site like photobucket.com
Coakers
1.6 8v

Re: 406 LX 2.0 HDI

Post by Coakers »

Thankyou very much ginger magic, I bunged up the pipe as described and it feels pretty much like a different car, no longer hesitant when accelerating. The erratic idle has almost gone completely and power delivery is just generally smoother. I'll still add the blanking plate when I've got some time this week though.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

Excellent - I'm glad it's improved.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Coakers
1.6 8v

Post by Coakers »

Well I've not touched the 406 since bunging up the EGR vac hose (in a mechanical sense that is). I have put 5k miles on it since October. However I was in the car park at work this morning and

https://youtu.be/5QiTN7tCU7w

It doesn't start, to save you the trouble of watching the link. No pre warning signs. It just didn't fire after work. After a lot of poking around. I've narrowed it down to the in-tank fuel pump. Basically I couldn't hear it prime. I've checked the fuses, none are blown or corroded. Earths look good.

The only other thing that was suggested was the crank sensor. I'm fitting the new lift pump tomorrow in the car park. I hope it doesn't rain.
GingerMagic
3.0 24v

Post by GingerMagic »

If you can't hear the pump cut in then a whack with a piece of wood or something might jar it back into life to get you home.....

Edit - I assume you have a lift pump and not a priming bulb....?

Edit the edit - I've just read back and no priming bulb, silly me.

I believe the main hp fuel pump also has its own fuse.
2003 2.2hdi estate - mine
1998 Volvo 940 auto estate - also mine
2019 Citroen C3 something - the wife's
PP2000 user, can help with faults / diagnostics in the Bournemouth area.
Coakers
1.6 8v

Post by Coakers »

I guess we'll find out after :roll: Where is the hp pump fuse btw?
dirtydirtydiesel
3.0 24v

Post by dirtydirtydiesel »

Nah,
Hi-pressure fuel pump is mechanical, runs off the cambelt.
2002 110 HDi estate, Rapier in monaco blue! ( found quite a bit more power :cheesy: ) SOLD I've sorted the airbag light :cheesy:
1998 3.0 V6 SE coupe in Diablo Red ( my baby ) sold
2006 206 1.4 16v sport in Aegean blue ( wife's shopping trolley :roll: )

2006 BMW e61 535d m-sport :supafrisk: run's for cover :lol:
Coakers
1.6 8v

Post by Coakers »

Well let's say it didn't go as planned. Firstly I have a mystery leak. There is a puddle of water underneath the seat. Also shards of glass.

Getting to the pump was easy enough though. There was a bead of silicone around the housing. Does seem the original pump, I gave the top of the housing a good clean before removal.

The locking ring seemed impossible to remove through access port at first glance, you need to put it at a 45° angle and just manhandle it out. The fuel lines and electrical connector are straight forward to remove.

But then I unboxed my replacement part and... yup, ECP just sent me the sender unit. It is a Bosch part and was listed as a pump/sender. Wasn't happy especially after being hunched over in the car park while it was sleeting and raining.

I went back to ECP, not in the best of moods and they told me that none of their listed pumps that correspond with my reg were the right part for my car! They did eventually find it after going through dealer parts but it was a cheaper aftermarket unit that I didn't fancy using.

I've phoned GSF and they told me over the phone which part I required, their listed Bosch unit was priced at £264 but they put the 60% discount code on it which reduced it to £104. Happy days, especially since ECP were charging me £84 for The cheaper aftermarket part. The GSF genuine Bosch one is being delivered Thursday.
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

They must have your car listed as Semen's injection :roll: That's a bugger that is.

Looking at the lift pump I'm wondering if you could just get the actual pump, rather than that big lump of plastic.
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
Coakers
1.6 8v

Post by Coakers »

Extremely unhappy. After ECP supplied the wrong part. GSF have now not only supplied the wrong part but have supplied a broken part. They told me over the phone that it was a Bosch unit, I tried it anyway and the diameter was too small.

url=https://ibb.co/y5WGgD7]
Image[/url]

Coakers
1.6 8v

Post by Coakers »

Well I have it running, after being totally f*cked around by the incompetent car spares companies this week. I rate ECP's customer service better than GSF's now btw. I took a chance at my local scrappy and fitted a lift pump from the only 2.0 hdi in the yard that cost me a tenner and...

https://youtu.be/WItIPfPecTA

I don't have any pictures but I did lift this picture of a satisfied driver from Google which exemplifies my feelings on this matter.

All was not plain sailing though. About a mile from home I lost power and the car went into pump mode with the EML coming on. I could smell diesel in the cabin. I pulled over safely and... yup idiot here didn't connect the fuel line correctly so it disconnected itself and sprayed fuel into the rear seat rear of the car as I didn't put the inspection cover back on at this point.

EML stayed on after restart so I'll clear that tomorrow. Getting the diesel smell out of the seats and carpet?? I'll get back to ya
steve_earwig
Location: Jastrebarsko, Croatia http://www.jastrebarsko.hr/lokacija/

Post by steve_earwig »

Yay! I'll bet you're glad to get it out that car park. I'm pretty sure the holes in 406 fuel tanks are all the same size so no idea what GSF were trying to pull with that tiddler.

That diesel spill, I'm not sure if you'll get rid of that without pulling it all apart and soaking it all in detergent (right time of year for that sort of thing...). Umm, what was the interior like on the 406 you pulled the pump out of? :supafrisk:
Unskilled meddling sin©e 2007

The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.